PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of PC Pads??

golfdude
03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
How long will it take for PC-pads to wear-out? Is there any way of "conserving" them without destroying them? Nobody ever seemed to mention how long they last or how often they need replacement.

klnyc
03-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Depend how busy you are.

I`m still beating on my Sonus kit for 1 year already and its still beating :D

termigator
03-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I just had an email correspondence with Aaron Krause, president of Edge Pads. He said that you can estimate that a pad costs about fifty cents per use. e.g. If your pad cost ten dollars, you can figure to get about twenty uses before it needs to be replaced. CMA, on the other hand, estimates that your pads should last a couple of years as long as you keep it clean. I think it all comes down to how often you use it. I don`t think mine will last too long because I have three cars that I take care of.:p

White95Max
03-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I`ve heard of some people having pads fall apart on them after just a few uses.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by White95Max

I`ve heard of some people having pads fall apart on them after just a few uses. Hmmmmmmmm, reminds me of a few emails i got...LMAO....

Proper pad selection is key, you cant use soft pads with abrasive or thick products, and vice versa.

White95Max
03-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Really? I`ve never had any problems with the Propel pads.

urban1.8t
03-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Working on paint that has just been clayed will help your pads to last longer as well.

I have a couple of pads which have done 10 cars and they are still useable........all these cars were clayed first and I tend to use very mild products or polishes.

Cheers

Dave.

togwt
03-23-2005, 09:33 AM
I would add to the above- regular cleaning to remove chemicals / solvents and allowing them to dry thoroughly before using closed storage (ie plastic bags)

JonM

cwcad
03-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Recently I did a detail on a black Ford that was in bad condition. The paint was very rough and oxidized. I clayed the vehicle first. The next process was with Menzerna PG. I used the rotary to do the work. At the end of the detail the white pad from LC was torn. It showed the effects of the work that it had done. Admirably, I might add. I had used this same pad at least a dozen times with a PC 7424. The pads was in good condition prior to using it with the rotary.

Having read the comments of this thread, it answered some of my questions as to why the pad started coming apart. I am sure that the rotary had something to do with the pads demise. But, considering that I used the most abrasive compound in my detailing arsenal, it is no wonder that the pad is falling apart. It was old, used and with the rotary, abused.

JasonD
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I`ve had my pads for over a year, but I don`t abuse my pads either and I have a lot of them so I keep them rotated.