PDA

View Full Version : need to get wall paint off car paint

Pages : [1] 2

jimroderique1
03-22-2005, 08:33 PM
How do you get regular house paint off my car paint job.

It happened when i was spraying a house with a paint sprayer and the overspray has put many little paint spots of white paint on my beutiful hood and fenders. It comes off if you really rub hard with your finger but i dont want to rub the whole hood and fenders with my fingers. Is there an easy solution and will it hurt my paint job. Basically i am trying to remove semi gloss outdoor house paint off my car.

Bedros ::shocked :shocked

jfox03cobra
03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I`d try to claybar it.

JasonD
03-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Was the paint Latex or Enamel? Latex will come off easily with clay, but enamel will be tough.

imported_Burlyq
03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Clay wont work, what would have worked is if you washed your car right away, I guess next time. Always try vinager first, also buffered Hydrochloric acid will work but you have to let it soak and reapply and reapply. You can try stainzout, it`s a water based imulsified bananna oil product. You can use that with a MR clean magic eraser. You might have to polish your car after. You can go to a paint store and see if they have anything, but thinners don`t work on water based paints. Good Luck

jimroderique1
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Umm it was latex based. I am going to try clay bar and some goo be gone is that the wrong stuff to use or what?

Bedros :(

imported_Burlyq
03-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Goo be Gone is good stuff but if the paint is cured might not work. Give it a shot, that was one product I almost recommended. I have dealt with two customers cars that have had this problem and Magic Eraser did the trick. I can say clay didn`t work for me, but if it works for you tell us.

pdqeagale
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Go to walmart or home depot and get a multi-purpose remover. That`s the stuff that removes adhesive glues. the can of OOPS! indicates right on the label it`s good for latex paint. Generally, even stuff like WD40 might work. Test it under the hood to see if it might hurt the paint.

brakebills4
03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
interesting.. hmm

jimroderique1
03-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Ill give it all a shot this weekend and give you guys the outcome.

Bedros

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-23-2005, 08:16 AM
The easiest and safest way to get oversprayed house paint off your the car paint is to use Goof Off. It`s available at most home supply stores.

Simply apply Goof Off along with some cleaner wax to an applicator cloth and begin to work small sections of the affected areas until you see and feel the overspray begin to disappear. It takes some time, however the results will be well worth your efforts.

Here`s a link to their site.

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

TortoiseAWD
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Goof Off is 90-95% xylene, with the rest methanol and ethanol. Xylene is an extremely effective solvent, but not one I would feel comfortable using on automotive paint, at least not without having exhausted all other options short of a repaint.

Tort

JasonD
03-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I really don`t think he will need anything all that strong for latex. I had latex paint splattered on my car a few weeks ago (my neighbor is having his house remodeled) and it came right off with no problem.

If it were enamel, then I think he would have to use everything short of lacquer thinner, but this isn`t the case.

Accumulator
03-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah, try the clay first. A guy I work dogs with got latex overspray all over his E-250 van and I got it all off with clay, no problem at all. This also prepped the car for a quick application of one-step :D

Given the differences between my and Burlyq`s experiences, you`ll just have to see what works in each specific case.

jimroderique1
03-23-2005, 04:21 PM
I need to take of little specks of paint all over but i surely dont want to have to repaint the car after im done that would defeat the purpose. I could just try it in spots that dont matter and see what happens.

Bedros

Duckman
03-23-2005, 04:44 PM
this reminds me of the first car I owned. it was a 1981 mustang that one of the previous owners decided need a paint job. So the whole damn car was painted in light blue latex paint. with a brush... Oh man was it funny. One day we decided to try to bring the car back to new so we took the car to a car wash (one with pressure wash hoses) and the paint just flew off. it was hilarious. We got the car painted properly and the engine was rebuilt, but the rest of the car was a mess and not worth fixing, so I sold it.

Sorry for the thread hijack.