PDA

View Full Version : Candle Wax on carpet...HELP!

stilez
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
I was playing with Buckley the other night throwing his toys around the house and of course I never listened to my mom when she said, "No playing in the house". Anyways, I threw the ball and it bounced off the ground and hit the only candle going in the entire room :(.

It knocked wax all over the floor and I had no time to react before it hardened. Any help on how to remove would be GREATLY appreciated :).

MaThGr82
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Remove as much wax as you can by hand simply by picking it out of there.

Then take either a blowdryer or heat gun and give the remaining wax a little bit of heat to heat up the carpet and liquify the wax. keep a rag handy and absorb the wax as it melts.

Don`t get the carpet too hot as it can possibly melt some of the synthetic fibers in the carpet. Good luck.

rollman
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Googling comes up with the same ideas this one seems the best to me .Try this and let us know how it works

You will need paper towels and an electric iron. I recommend a very absorbent paper towel for the best results. Use white towels only as dyes may bleed onto the carpet when exposed to the heat of the iron.

Before beginning the procedure, use a brush or your hands to pick away at any of the excess wax that you can get out of the carpet fiber. Be gentle and be careful not to unravel the pile when brushing.

1. Plug the iron in and turn it on to the lowest setting possible.

2. After the iron heats up, take a paper towel and place it over the wax. Gently apply the warm iron to the paper towel. The wax should begin to liquefy and the paper towel will absorb it. Do not set the temperature of the iron any higher than the warm setting, or you may harm synthetic fibers. For berber or some sculptured carpets, you may have to press down harder with the iron. Be especially careful with the berbers and do not pull on any fibers or loops. Pulling on those loops can cause a "run" much like the runs in panty hose and can ruin the rug, as the run will travel across the length of the carpet.

3. Continue working the iron and paper towel until all of the wax is absorbed. You may need to turn the paper towel several times as the area where the wax is being absorbed becomes saturated. If it is a large spill you may need more than one paper towel. The watch word here is patience, as working this process can take time.

This method should work effectively. In cases of very stubborn spills, you may come to a point in the procedure where you have absorbed all of the wax you can and find that there is still some residue in the carpet. Try to gently pick out as much of the remainder as you can. It may help to apply an ice cube to the stain and re-harden the melted wax. Caution is advised here too, as some dyes may fade when water is applied. Check with your manufacturer if in doubt.

holland_patrick
03-22-2005, 07:17 PM
let me know if you get an Iron I`ll let you use the one I use for skiing it has was on it all ready so you can heat it up nice and good I`ll get some towels so you get trash them if needed.. let me know..

BigChevMan
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
they sell stuff for dissolving wax on clothes and carpets. smells like lighter fluid to me though

Anthony O.
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I have never had success with a paper towel:nono

Rather use a paper bag, set the hot iron on top of the bag which is obviously placed over the melted wax.

Run the iron across a few times, checking your progress as you go along. I think I did a more thorough post about this some time ago but can`t seem to find it, if I do I`ll post the link.

Anthony

SpoiledMan
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Yep, what Anthony said. The paper towel is too thin. Don`t get the carpet fibers too hot or....

AutoNova
03-22-2005, 10:03 PM
USe a steamer over it to get it hot enough and wipe it up.

togwt
03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Back in the days of yore :cool: (alright the 17th century )we used an iron and blotting paper (can you still get blotting paperâ€Â¦what the el is blotting paper. :nixweiss

This is the removal method I use-

Wax (candle or crayon)- to remove melted wax from carpeting, place an absorbent paper towel over the wax and with a hot iron run it back and forth on the towel, this will re-liquefy the wax and the towel will absorb it. Repeat as necessary.

JonM