PDA

View Full Version : What is your FAVORITE wheel/tire cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

stilez
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
In the market for some new rim/tire cleaners since I`m running low. If I am cleaning, I am usually QEW`ing or using a standard 2 bucket/hose wash. I don`t have access to a pressure washer. I am pretty happy with what I am using now, but I figured I`d shoot this question out to see what is working for everyone else.

Light Duty Cleaning

-Car wash solution

-Meguiar`s APC 10:1

Heavy Duty Cleaning

-TOL`s Wheel Wash

-Eagle One A2Z

What`s your favorites?

Bill D
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Specifically for tires: Mothers Tire and Rubber Cleaner....although I do have the new Michelin product on tap to try.

For wheels, I stay on top of them religiously, nothing more than y car wash solution is needed.

holland_patrick
03-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I`ve got the poor boys spray and rince which is nice but heavy duty but they say you can cut it down for cleaner wheels..

but now that i have WS it`s just soap needed

SilverLexus
03-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Wheel: Toss-up between Eagle One A2Z and P21S Gel

Tire: Eagle One A2Z

1 Clean WS6
03-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Hands down Meguiar`s Detailer line Wheel Brightener.

tom p.
03-22-2005, 03:44 PM
If price was not an issue, I`d use regular P21S exclusively...it`s simply the best, non-damaging wheel cleaner out there. I`ve used it for years.

Since that has gotten very expensive, I get Griot`s by the gallon and pick up an occasional bottle of A2Z.

Nick M
03-22-2005, 03:48 PM
At the moment, I`m using Meguiars #36 Pro Wheel Cleaner.

On my wheels it works very well :xyxthumbs

dcswd
03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
I`ve been searching for a while now and I think im pretty happy with what im using now. I use these products for my own car as well as any car I detail.

For tires: Mothers Tire and Rubber Cleaner.

It cleans the tires really well with out over drying them.

For all rims: Mothers FX Wheel Cleaner.

Its listed as safe for all wheels on the bottle, but that doesnt mean its under powered. Its a liquid, but not too thin, so it can be rinsed well with QEW. Requires light agitation for most rims. On back rims with drum breaks, just spraying and rinsing is usually enough.

For tough cleaning: TOL`s Power Wheel Wash. Works great, I would prefer if it was a little bit more "gel" like. I might try Meg`s Wheel Brightener when I run out of this stuff.

topnotchtouch
03-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I don`t really use a dedicated tire/wheel cleaner. I typically use whatever I am using to wash the paint and that is either Meguiars #62 professional car wash or Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash and a good set of brushes. Either product is going to clean well and is going to be about as gentle as you can get.

I notice you mention Meguiars APC from their detailer line. I use it every 5K when I rotate my tires. Typically I dillute it at about 8:1 since I also use it on the suspension while I have the wheels off to remove any accumulated road grime. For heavy duty cleaning you could make it stronger. I find I usually need to mix it up to 4:1 for my mom`s Jeep. Her Jeep is a muddly clay magnet :D

tkr128
03-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Light cleaning:

Meguiar`s GC Car Wash soap at a strong dilution ratio for both tires and wheels.

Heavy cleaning:

Tires: Eagle One Tire Cleaner (too bad they don`t make it anymore, it`s a great product) or Meguiar`s APC at about 1:4

Wheels: Eagle One A2Z.

The light cleaning is every wash and the heavy cleaning is when I do a full detail and clean the undercarriage and everything else. I`m hoping to try the new Michelin stuff out as it seems promising.

TW85 HHI
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Light Cleaning: Car wash solution

Heavier Cleaning: A2Z. Cheap and very effective.

jlfrogy
03-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Me likey Eagle One wheel acid for my chromies. Also does a great job on the brake calipers.

thinksnow
03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
I wet the wheel and tire brush, give them one good shake towards the ground to release some water, and spray two shots of A2Z on the tire and one on the wheels. The wet brush will effectively dilute the A2Z and take your wheel/tire washing dollar much farther. Somehow, it doesn`t seem to reduce the cleaning power:nixweiss

Pats300zx
03-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I still have like 15 bottles of the Eagle One Tire Cleaner when Sears was discontinuing the EO line.

Otherwise I also like EO A2Z.

I just got some new Poorboys Wheel Cleaner which I will be trying this weekend when I change out my OEM wheels/tires for my aftermarkets ones.

Accumulator
03-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Light- Wheels: car wash solution; tires: diluted Griot`s Wheel Cleaner

Heavy (rare)- Wheels: Diluted Griot`s Wheel Cleaner; tires: Griot`s Rubber Cleaner

In the very rare cases where I need something stronger, I`ll use diluted EFHI on both.