PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls before applying aio

BigO
03-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I have a dark blue car with some light (dealer installed) swirl marks. What product should I use to remove the swirl marks before applying the Klasse twins? I guess I`m looking for a swirl "remover" instead of something that simply fills in the swirls.

Accumulator
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Depends how hard your clear is, but a good starting point is 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937). It`s recently been discontinued, but is still commonly available. I`d try HERE (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825)

BigO
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Depends how hard your clear is, but a good starting point is 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937). It`s recently been discontinued, but is still commonly available. I`d try HERE (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825)

Thanks for the product recommendation. Do you think this product is suitable for a beginner (read: first time with a PC)? Also, which Sonus pad should I use with it? Green?

And finally, to help you determine how hard my clear is, the car is an `04 G35.

Thanks, again!

Old Rattle Flat
03-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Accumulator

Would you mind expalining with a bit more detail? I currently use AOI, and than top with Zaino. I would love to remove swirls with a 3M Glaze before AOI, but I am under the impression the 3M Glaze was more of a final step product or that the AIO would probably just remove the glaze. It may be that I don`t understand the term glaze in the 3M context. Thanks:)

stevet
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Old Rattle Flat

Accumulator

Would you mind expalining with a bit more detail? I currently use AOI, and than top with Zaino. I would love to remove swirls with a 3M Glaze before AOI, but I am under the impression the 3M Glaze was more of a final step product or that the AIO would probably just remove the glaze. It may be that I don`t understand the term glaze in the 3M context. Thanks:)

3M Perfect III Machine Glaze is an abrasive and a very good one at that. It isn`t too aggressive but does not contain fillers. Glaze is a misleading name for this product. 3M Imperial Hand glaze is a glaze and loaded with fillers and this causes some confusion with the term glaze.

Accumulator
03-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Yeah, what stevet said. This whole "product name" thing can drive you nuts :rolleyes:

BigO- Yeah, that products are "newbie-safe" :D I`d even say to get the PI-III RC (05933) in case you need it. IMO you`re not gonna mess anything up with either product. Just work them until they`re almost dry to fully break them down.

I`m afraid I`m not familiar with the Sonus pads (I`ll have to study up/try some one of these days). What you want with the MG is a fairly mild polishing pad. Not a cutting pad (not even a "light cutting pad"). IF that combo won`t cut it (pun intended) then use the same pad with the PI-III RC before switching to a more aggressive pad. Using a pad that`s "more aggressive than the product" just leads to micromarring with no real increase in "cut".

You`ll find out how hard your paint is when you try to polish out the marring. If I had to take a wild guess I`d say yours won`t be all that hard/tough to work.