PDA

View Full Version : Collinite waxes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

SVR
03-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Question - are the collinite waxes a pure carnuaba paste like p21s or synthetic waxes with silicone polymers and hydrocarbons etc.

Tried to email the company but got mail delivery failure

Marque D Elegance is the first I want to try

termigator
03-22-2005, 07:18 AM
According to GuruReports Marque D` Elegance is a pure wax with no cleaners. No. 476S (Super Doublecoat Wax) has cleaners. Don`t know about the others.

Spilchy
03-22-2005, 08:57 AM
I spoke to Collinite and they indicated that Marque and 476 will yield the same results, so they recommended using the cheaper 476. It will last a bit longer too.

476 does not have cleaners in it. This has been discussed. I use 476 routinely and happen to like the the look of the the Insulator Wax better. Easier to apply, remove and won`t stain trim. It lasts just as long as the 476.

wannafbody
03-22-2005, 09:28 AM
the Collinite 845 is probably the best all around carnauba wax-lasts 5 months in the winter and looks pretty good too-not quite as sharp of reflections as a synthetic tho-it doesn`t have cleaners and is supposed to be layerable

01bluecls
03-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by wannafbody

the Collinite 845 is probably the best all around carnauba wax-lasts 5 months in the winter and looks pretty good too-not quite as sharp of reflections as a synthetic tho-it doesn`t have cleaners and is supposed to be layerable

I actually find that IW 845 is very reflective in my opinion. I tried the 845 after a few weeks of applying Meg`s #16. After I finished applying 845, it actually reminded me of Zaino Z2 as far as reflections and clarity are concerned. It did lack the "depth" #16 gave but was definately "brighter and more shiney" IMO.

845 is VERY easy to use, I find it easier to remove than P21S, which IMO says a lot to me. The durability for a carnuaba is very very high. Initial slickness is also great and lasts for a while too. I used it during the harsh winter months and got 4+ months even when going through touch-less washes a few times.

845 gets a BIG :xyxthumbs in my book for clarity of reflections, durability and especially ease of use!

stevet
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 01bluecls

845 is VERY easy to use, I find it easier to remove than P21S, which IMO says a lot to me. The durability for a carnuaba is very very high. Initial slickness is also great and lasts for a while too. I used it during the harsh winter months and got 4+ months even when going through touch-less washes a few times.

I agree with you 100%. On my silver paint it looks better than anything I have used. This is my go to LSP now. I pretty much shelved everything else. I like to use 476S as a base than top with Insulator wax. Best thing I have used on wheels to. I polish them with Mothers Clear Coat Wheel Polish or AIO than top with Insulator Wax.

If Collinite was made in some Exotic German forest by a bunch of elfs than the band wagon boys would be all over this product. At $9.99 a pint at Carquest it doesn`t have that high end feel about it. But it is getting more attention lately.

01bluecls
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by stevet

If Collinite was made in some Exotic German forest by a bunch of elfs than the band wagon boys would be all over this product. At $9.99 a pint at Carquest it doesn`t have that high end feel about it. But it is getting more attention lately.

:LOLOL

Like I said earlier, the clarity and reflections are great and I bet with a nice topper like P21S, that combo would be even better!

AlexRuiz
03-22-2005, 10:44 AM

:2thumbs:

Well, this partial secret gives us the ones who like the 845 have an advantage then..... I love this product, and I think also this is the best all-around LSP. For my wheels, the combo Nu-finish topped with 845 has been tough to beat! In paint, no comments. I find it also very reflective and with striking distance of S100, but I think it alos looks quite deep, close to #16.

Spilchy
03-22-2005, 10:46 AM

I like to use 476S as a base than top with Insulator wax. Best thing I have used on wheels to.

:bow :bow

I have posted this a billion times on this board. Insulator Wax as a topper on wheels is UNBEATABLE.

After all, read the description and tell me you have something to protect better!

This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. It`s primary use is on the finishes of automobiles, trucks, buses and airplanes where durability, high gloss and lasting protection are paramount. An excellent choice for fleet applications and very easy to use--requires minimum rubbing or buffing. Clear coat safe.

Setec Astronomy
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
So given the VOC/carnauba wax discussion under way in another thread (Carnauba on its Final Leg??!!! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52587) ), can we expect the entire existing Collinite line to go away in the coming years?

Spilchy
03-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

So given the VOC/carnauba wax discussion under way in another thread (Carnauba on its Final Leg??!!! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52587) ), can we expect the entire existing Collinite line to go away in the coming years?

Where`s Accumulator when you need him? I believe he responded to a thread about this after speaking with Collinite.

satyr64
03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
SVR are you getting ready for winter down there?

Accumulator
03-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Where`s Accumulator when you need him? I believe he responded to a thread about this after speaking with Collinite.

Nice to be needed :D

Yeah, they said they were gonna have to reformulate their stuff to comply with the VOC regs and when I last spoke with them (late last summer) they didn`t have a new mix that they were satisfied with. Based on what they said, and what I read between the lines, I bought a case of 476S to last me the rest of this lifetime.

On the "what`s in it" question- *NO* there are no cleaners in 476S/MdE/845. Since they contain solvents (like any other wax) they will do a little (*very* little) cleaning but people take that fact and run with it to the point of misstating the nature of the products. These are "straight"/non-cleaner waxes. Pure "LSPs".

I *have* heard (forget where, maybe from Ron Ketchum, so take this as being worth what I`m charging you for it ;) ) that these waxes (maybe just the 845/Insulator) contain some synthetics/resins/somesuch, that they`re not "pure carnaubas". I didn`t ask the guys at Collinite about this so I don`t know what *their* $0.02 would be. Some people get all bent about "silicones"/etc. but I don`t.

Similar to Spilchy`s experience, the guys at Collinite always encourage me to buy the 476S instead of the MdE too. Even when I said I didn`t care about the cost, they said the MdE is just made so they can offer a "premium" wax that smells nice and they said that *they* don`t use it themselves on their cars. They were so adamant about this that I teased them about bad-mouthing their own most expensive product and even implying it was a rip-off meant for people who insist on spending more money- they basically said, "yeah, that`s right". I don`t want to get anybody there in trouble over this, they were being perfectly candid with me, which I truly appreciated. They seem like straight-up guys and I enjoy doing business with them.

wannafbody
03-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Collinite 845 has better gloss and shine than #26

gkerr4
03-22-2005, 03:33 PM
I`m interested in trying the collinite waxes.

the only two carnauba`s I have experience of are P21Sand #16. I love the use of P21S, but to be honest I prefer the look of the #16. I think it is a slicker and deeper finish that P21s - however, in comparison to P21s, #16 is a pain in the a$$ to apply and remove (by hand)

With this in mind - am i likely to like one the collinites? will it give a similar look to #16 - with the ease of use of P21s? and if so which one??

Interesting about the company encouraging 476s over the MdE - I understand it for the price - but here I can get 9oz of 476s for £13.99 and 12oz of MdE for £18.99 - so in terms of cost / oz they are pretty similar - in fact MdE is slightly cheaper! - I think with this in mind, I would probably go for MdE, unless anyone can think of a reason why I shouldn`t??

Thanks in advance