PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba on its Final Leg??!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

imported_dpeezy415
03-22-2005, 01:44 AM
While browsing the web today I ran across this article:

Is Carnauba Paste Wax A Dinosaur? (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=51)

It`s troubling, but it makes perfect sense. Hard to imagine the detailing world without carnaubas (but I`m sure many pros have known this for awhile).

It will be interesting to see the change in its process. Pretty soon we`ll be saying, "I remember when we used to use wax from trees to get our cars to shine..."

Is it a good or bad thing? To me, it doesn`t matter because the process will happen NO MATTER WHAT. So be prepared.

With that said, anyone want to buy full or 99% full jars of P21S, Trade Secret, #16 or Nattys?

Just kidding...

On another note, now there is a forum about car detailing over at bettercarcare.com. What will be the future of Autopia?

01bluecls
03-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Reading that article, I have said the same thing. I find that my "waxes" are less used and my sealants are almost like top choice. I think my reasoning behind my choice is the durability and protection for my car. My car is daily driven and the area I live in is CONSTANTLY under construction meaning more air pollutants and debris everywhere compared to some other places. Sealants have seemed to be proven technology for protection against the elements. Waxes although look great and even "different" then sealants, I often worry about the protection factor if I dont have time to re-apply every few weeks. I`m sure with technology moving along the way it is, sealants "looks" will improve over time along with the protection abilities it already has. I will still keep my P21S and I still plan on buying Souve, but in the end what will be underneath, will be a durable sealant.

94BlkStang
03-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by dpeezy415

While browsing the web today I ran across this article:

Is Carnauba Paste Wax A Dinosaur? (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=51)

It`s troubling, but it makes perfect sense. Hard to imagine the detailing world without carnaubas (but I`m sure many pros have known this for awhile).

It will be interesting to see the change in its process. Pretty soon we`ll be saying, "I remember when we used to use wax from trees to get our cars to shine..."

Is it a good or bad thing? To me, it doesn`t matter because the process will happen NO MATTER WHAT. So be prepared.

With that said, anyone want to buy full or 99% full jars of P21S, Trade Secret, #16 or Nattys?

Just kidding...

On another note, now there is a forum about car detailing over at bettercarcare.com. What will be the future of Autopia?

Carnuaba`s will always have a place in my arsenal as thay make an excellent final topper over some of the more popular sealants.

Mad iX
03-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Carnaubas are great toppers. There`s always room on my shelf for them. However, with the general public who dont know any better or dont have the time, sealants are probably the better choice for protection.

SVR
03-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Was very surprised when reading that article

I`ve never liked synthetic waxes but a pure paste carnuaba wax, especially p21s is unbeatable on top of 3 - 7 coats of acrylic, ceramic and super polymer sealants

By themselves, both pastes and synthetics don`t have the power to last like a sealant

Instead of getting rid of them, simply use them on top of sealants

VOC regulations have nothing to do with a pure paste wax. It`s 100% natural wax

I agree with you mad ix, for the average motorist, sealants are the better choice

Having said that, most of them do no more than wash their cars

Bobby G
03-22-2005, 08:46 AM
I knew when I wrote the article that it would stir up some discussion. The idea for the story came to me while trying to find a "topper wax" for the Sonus line. Three wax makers said "come back later, because our product is no longer VOC compliant..." and two of them said their new paste wax product would not contain Carnauba. I asked if the new wax would be as good as or better than the current product at creating a deep, dark, wet-looking finish, and the chemists all said better. The chemists who would speak to me said that Carnauba has little to do with those three qualities.

6cyl's_of_fury
03-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by SVR

VOC regulations have nothing to do with a pure paste wax. It`s 100% natural wax

Sorry SVR, but you are a little of kilter there mate.

VOC`s are the solvent carriers that are present in pretty much every product that "hazes" - the hazing is the carrier evaporating and leaving the product behind. Those products that haze rapidly generally contain strong solvents, or a large amount of solvents - its these products ( rightly or wrongly ) that are coming under scrutiny. Water can be used as a carrier, but it takes a lot longer than a solvent to flash, but importantly remains VOC compliant. Most use a blend of water and a small amount of solvent to achieve a balance in both worlds.

The market is slowly progressing towards synthetics, so in reality I guess it was only a matter of time. Years ago, sealants would have been the uber products reserved for the very fortunate, now it looks to be doing a full swing in the opposite direction. I guess it will mean that carnauba will only be available in those mega expensive Zymol waxes in the future?!? :o

togwt
03-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Will a synthetic (polymer) replace a natural (Carnauba) wax?

IS CARNAUBA PASTE WAX A DINOSAUR? (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=51)

That a chemist wants to replace a natural product with a synthetic comes as no real surprise. To cite the new VOC regulations as being the culprit for there demise IMO is just marketing hype. Zymol have been using non-solvent oil since its inception. Using oils as opposed to PD solvents will increase its price (I am not suggesting that this is the reason for Zymolâ€â„¢s high price, I think itâ€â„¢s a case of â€Ëœwhat the market will standâ€â„¢) compared to a synthetic and make it harder to sell there is no doubt in my mind.

Thus far no polymer can produce â€Ëœdepth of shine and very few are clear and will not cloud by adding â€Ëœlayersâ€â„¢ after a period of time. The only exception thus far to some these problems have been overcome by Zanioâ€â„¢s products, but it still has the â€Ëœsterileâ€â„¢ look of a polymer albeit very shiny.

JonM

Glossequation
03-22-2005, 09:20 AM
David,

Very interesting and well-written article! What comes across makes a good amount of sense, though I do believe there are bigger fish to fry with regard to the environment. The global shift towards becoming environmentally friendly continues to pick up steam, as is evident by the emergence of "normal" hybrid vehicles (those with adequate power and styling), recycling and stricter pollution laws within the last 25 years or so.

I can see why VOC requirements have changed, but for me there is something satisfying and rewarding about using an organic product on some of the cars I do. It is old technology, but it is effective. Unless carnauba can be replicated with regard to the benefits it produces on dark colored cars, I will always be a faithful user of #16 (or at least until my 1.5 tins of it run out)!

Lowejackson
03-22-2005, 09:23 AM
I wonder if it is the distortions created by the wax which appeals to so many in the same way a lot of valve amps distort (in a pleasant way) the sound.

I am excluding the paint protection aspects from my thoughts

Bobby G
03-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

I wonder if it is the distortions created by the wax which appeals to so many in the same way a lot of valve amps distort (in a pleasant way) the sound.

I am excluding the paint protection aspects from my thoughts

I have always described Carnauba show car waxes as having a "warm" look. I beleive it is the distortion that creates this effect.

db

SilverLexus
03-22-2005, 10:04 AM
I have mixed feelings about this article but David could be right given the VOC regs.

I really like the carnauba look even after using sealants. I think it creates a wet look that few sealants can create. Like David, I would truly hate to see my beloved Souveran and P21S go.

As long as I can I will keep doing either AIO + P21S or AIO + Souveran on my silver ES. I think a combination of the two produces the best results.

Thanks David, Lynn and Mike for adding some new articles to the BCC site. :)

One question I have regards the new discussion forums on BCC. Why not combine the two sites into one "super-site" for detailing? We might get more posts and more streamlined maintenance...

Bill D
03-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Same here, Lee.

I had stopped using wax for a long time ,went back to it and especially on black,I like the look it gives over a sealant alone. Now, whether or not the carnauba content is responsible for that or not, well, :nixweiss

I`m very open to synthetic based products that supercede or provide an even "better" or "nicer" look. Looks like the future of the industry may offer some very exciting products.

imported_perry
03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

One question I have regards the new discussion forums on BCC. Why not combine the two sites into one "super-site" for detailing? We might get more posts and more streamlined maintenance...

Yea, I thought we had a happy family going here.. Autopia-Carcare, Autopia.org, and BetterCarCare.. Seems like BetterCarCare is poised to become a supersite :nixweiss

AlexRuiz
03-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree that while in general sealants are superior to carnaubas, few people can deny the special look carnaubas give. Use them both, be happy!