PDA

View Full Version : RMG and Meguiars Brush report

Pages : [1] 2

Sveta
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks to a sample of RMG from Scottwax my black Toyota 4X4 looks better then it ever has before. Scott has already discussed and posted pictures so I `m going second some of what he`s already said, not post a picture and add my 2 or 3 cents.

Three months ago IP, FPII, WG polish, WG, #26 Liquid. Had some super fine marring I didn`t catch (didn`t work the IP right?)

and I have wanted to re-do for sometime now.

TODAY:

Used the new Meguiar`s white Wash Brush. MUCH Softer dry then when wet. The water bonds the bristles together somewhat. Holds suds/soap like crazy. BIG PLUS. Awkward at times but no big deal. Works great where you need a brush to get in places a mit does not.

HOWEVER....Afterwards I saw micro thin "brush" lines on my black paint I am pretty sure weren`t there before. A little Poorboys with Carnauba test cleaned them up just fine. My guess is the "micro grit" of the sandy dust around here didn`t "remove out of the way" like it normally does with a sheepskin. I almost think the old OXO brush works as well or better. I`m dissapointed and will try again CAREFULLY in a test area before I give this brush a thumbs down. I`m curious what other "black car" guys will say.

Now the RMG part:

Washed with Cherry Espuma (don`t ask; local product) and Clayed

SSR2.5 and Sonus DAS Green pad...DA 5+ and dusted it perfect. Old marring gone!

SSR1 and Sonus DAS Blue...DA 3-5. Wow.

My evaluation was it was so good I should not have used the SSR1 because how could I see how good the RMG would be? I mean, it looked ready to wax. Oh well, got to do it anyway, but wasn`t expecting much improvement. (Seriously, all I could think of was Scott said something like `maybe Marty will have something to report later` and what am I going to say? Ah, um, ah...it worked good. I knew I was in trouble.)

RMG and Edge Blue. Used it pretty much as Scott said. It`s a bit thicker then VM but still pretty liquid. Dotted the pad about a dozen places and didn`t over use. "Dotted" the panels in many places, spread pretty fast on 1, worked it quickly on 3, then slowly at 5. (Pretty much the way Scott did it.) Very easy to use. It doesn`t dust but clarifies somewhat and it`s easy to waste time with it. I finally got the hang of it and stopped playing around with it. A few times slow in a couple of directions and it`s done. Wiped each panel on the first side. Left the whole other side sit awhile. NO difference in ease of removal or looks either way. I mean, it is easier to remove then VM if that`s possible.

HERE`S THE BEST PART. When I got to the tail gate, I openned the garage door to get some better light on the subject. I did half the gate and stood back. :cool: Very cool:cool: It DARKENED the black paint and gave it a really clear crystal (best word I can find) shine. Great depth and clarity, but the DARKENING was dramatic. The SSR1 side that I had thought looked so good before RMG looked "grey" by comparison. I had to call the wife and show her. It was like Christmas the second half as I turned down the last side and went for the hood. It was dramatically a better black then I had ever seen on this truck. Two thoughts. (1) Would a topper detract from this look? (2) I wish I had some Souveran.

CMW finished it just fine.

Long winded, I know, but RMG will be a MUST HAVE for Black fanatics.

The only thing negative to report is that it is not that red. More like melted Black Cherry ice cream, but doesn`t smell like it.

JasonD
03-22-2005, 12:07 AM
:showpics

03COBRA
03-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

:werd:

Sveta
03-22-2005, 12:26 AM

OK. You got me Cop-er.

Only, I ain`t figured out how to post pictures since it changed last year. If I figure it out, you`ll get your pictures. That`s all I`m confessing to without my lawyer.

JasonD
03-22-2005, 12:28 AM
We can help you, where are you stumped?

Scottwax
03-22-2005, 12:45 AM
You know what? I have to agree about the clear crystal reference. I really like how black my paint looks but the clarity is terrific. I know the heavy polishing paves the way for the glaze but I really like how crystal clear my paint looks.

I`ve also noticed there is very little residue in the pad after using RMG, and even after multiple uses without washing the pad, there is absolutely no dusting.

Glad you liked it Marty. :)

Sveta
03-22-2005, 12:46 AM

We can help you, where are you stumped?

I thought I had to link to a picture hosting site or something. I`ve posted in "my gallery" before but attempts to have them appear in the post haven`t worked for me. I`ll post some pics to "my gallery" and get back to this in a bit. Only have "after" shots...should have done the half tailgate shot for the darkening.

Scottwax
03-22-2005, 12:54 AM
www.photohost.org/gallery

10MB free webspace for pics.

JasonD
03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
You can either link your pics from a photo host like the one Scott just recommended or you can post them here in your gallery, it`s up to you. Another good photo host is www.photobucket.com

Sveta
03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12573&papass=&sort=1

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12575&papass=&sort=1

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12576&papass=&sort=1

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12577&papass=&sort=1

Here`s gallery posts. I`ll investigate that free host and figure that one out later. Thanks Scott and JDookie.

jucaraman
03-22-2005, 01:27 AM
wow nice marty now this summer your gonna have to watch those birds, its like a mirror the birds will fly right into the side of it.

Kinda like some windows at my house after they are cleaned, seem like a bird magnet. They see the reflection of a tree and try to land on the window.

Sveta
03-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks jucaraman.

To be frank, these are shade shots...sundown almost.

I`ll post some full light shots tomorrow to keep it as "honest" as a picture can be. A better camera would help, too.

Sveta
03-22-2005, 02:35 AM
Scott,

Yes, you are so right, it just plain makes black look great. Terrific clarity, very pure and clean.

I haven`t been this pleased with a new product since VM came out. Thanks again.

I`m working on a red Dodge 4X4 tomorrow afternoon and hope the sun holds long enough to get some pictures of that. I`ll have the camera handy if I can catch the "darkening" effect which I hesitate to call an oily or wet look. I`m anticipating great results on red and hope it delivers the same punch it did today on black.

TortoiseAWD
03-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Here you go:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15208pictures_029__small_.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15208pictures_022__small_.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15208pictures_027__small_.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/15208pictures_028__small_.jpg

Tort

Spilchy
03-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MartyGrant

HOWEVER....Afterwards I saw micro thin "brush" lines on my black paint I am pretty sure weren`t there before. A little Poorboys with Carnauba test cleaned them up just fine. My guess is the "micro grit" of the sandy dust around here didn`t "remove out of the way" like it normally does with a sheepskin. I almost think the old OXO brush works as well or better. I`m dissapointed and will try again CAREFULLY in a test area before I give this brush a thumbs down. I`m curious what other "black car" guys will say.

Is anyone else shocked as I am at this? :rolleyes: ;)

Everyone is running around like mad men for these stupid brushes when we all know that THESE THINGS CAUSE MARRING!!!!!!! (Unless you have mastered the ancient art of Accumulator`s boars hair brush technique!)

The craze is on and the virus is spreading - meguiar`s brush bandwagon is about to leave, you all better hop aboard.

IMHO, the oxo brushes are superior in construction and ergonomics after viewing the Meguiar`s brushes at Pep Boys.

How come everyone didn`t go bonkers over the new Black Magic brushe line? They`re the same.

Very nice write up! Sorry about the rant. I really like VM and use it often. When my bottle runs out, I`ll try the RMG in its place.