PDA

View Full Version : 1-5 year shine package?

Flexin
03-21-2005, 11:42 PM
There are shops around that offer a finish that they say will last 1-5 depending on which one you get. Has anyone seen one of these cars after about 1-5 years? I have seen cars with it but that was in the first few months on a new car.

James

Scottwax
03-21-2005, 11:58 PM
They count on either you forgeting to bring the car back regularly to have the `sealant` refreshed, that you will lose your guarantee information if you do have a problem or that you won`t keep the car long enough to have a problem.

Flexin
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

They count on either you forgeting to bring the car back regularly to have the `sealant` refreshed, that you will lose your guarantee information if you do have a problem or that you won`t keep the car long enough to have a problem.

Thats what I was thinking. I told my sister when she bought her new car a few months ago that she could bring it by the shop after I open and I would take care of her car for her. She said "oh I don`t need that. They did the car and its good for X number of years." :mad: I said you paid for that? I thing she paid a few hundred for it. I could have shot her. Well when it gets bad I guess I will still take care of it for her.

James

JasonD
03-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Oh man, doesn`t stuff like this just make you want to wring someone`s neck?? Do your sister a huge favor and keep it up for her. It`ll be looking bad in no time untouched.

thinksnow
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
I gave into the hype. The installers can`t make up their mind about what to use to protect the paint, so my car has seen numerous coats of Z2, Z2Pro, Z5, the K-twins, #16, S100 and P21S (I think they were just curious), Natty`s, EX, EX-P, Pinnacle Souveran, 1Z Glanz, 1Z WaxPolish Soft, UPP, the WG twins, NXT, and a few others. So far, the car is still beading like crazy after 4 years:up

Accumulator
03-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Here`s one from the other side of this coin- a friend of ours gets the dealer`s package on her SUV every time. Uses it as a bargaining point on the cost of her lease and it doesn`t cost her enough for her to car about that. She doesn`t forget about it and has them do the "refresher" stuff regularly. While it doesn`t look anywhere *near* how we would want it, it does look OK for a "non-autopian`s" SUV. Looks a *whole lot* better than her vehicles used to look before she started having this done.

This is a woman with some pretty severe physical problems who doesn`t have a decent detail shop nearby. In *her* case I can`t say she`s making a mistake. It costs her next to nothing and it never inconveniences her (has it done during oil changes). And I gotta admit her SUV is always one of the better looking ones in her parking lot (not that *that* is saying all that much...).

Heh heh, another one of Accumulator`s Autopian Heresies, huh :D

salty
03-24-2005, 01:11 AM
I also think that for the average person it is a good start. I just wish that they would stop misleading and ripping people off. It gives sealant a bad name. I mean if it lasts a year then say so and offer a discount for reapplication.

benpocock
03-24-2005, 05:38 AM
The stance I`ve always taken with these "miracle" products is this:

If you physically don`t have the time, inclination or will to regularly maintain your car and you don`t want to pay somebody else to do it for you, and you`re happy with it looking 70-80% of what it could, then these products are OK for you. Wash it every couple of weeks and it will look pretty respectable.

If however you enjoy getting your car looking as good as you can and you have a slight addiction to car care products (like me!), then steer clear of these treatments because they`re ridiculously overpriced and they just get in the way of a regular detailing process.

I ended up with DiamondBrite on my M3 cab, and have to say even though it "got in the way" of what I wanted to do with the car (I rang up and asked how I should remove tar and was told to not use anything like a tar remover a this would break down the "special coating" - useful eh?!) it did keep the car looking pretty respectable. This is a pic of it at six months old - all I ever did to it was wash it once a week.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/20422cab_6.jpg

I`d never have a product like this again, but they can` be all that bad otherwise all these companies that make such products wouldn`t be in business anymore.

Ben

TheShinyMama
03-24-2005, 05:58 AM
People who offer 1-5year shine guarantee are "MOSTLY" crooks. No punt intended. But they target ignorant people who doesn`t know any better. People who often buy those packages never read the fine print. A car that is parked in a showroom for lets say 1 year would eventually lose its luster. What more if its a daily driver with different weather conditions to battle with on a day to day basis:)

wannafbody
03-24-2005, 08:48 PM
I have no problem believing that a product *can* last for a year-after all NUFINISH has been around for years-as for the 5 year sealants *yes* they last 5 years (in the bottle):rolleyes: