PDA

View Full Version : Cann`t Remove Oxidation Plus Another Problem

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Well I finnaly started working on my wifes 1994 Honda Prelude. The top surfaces are heavy with oxidation. I have tried Medallion Premimum Paint Cleaner and AIO with little sucess using my PC. I removed alot of the oxidation but after several slow passes at medium speed much of it remains. I am posting a pic that showes one part to the left that has had two passes of the MPPC and to the right nothing has been done. This brings me to my other dilemma. As you can see in the pic roof seam is a mess. I can not tell what is happening. It looks like a clear plastic cover with mildew and dirt below it. It looks like I can cut it off and clean below it. What do you all think?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zippymbr/IMG_0920.jpg

JasonD
03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, I have no idea what to tell you about the roof seam, but I can tell you that you need to get a more aggressive polish to tackle this job. You are about two or three steps away from AIO to get this looking like it should.

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 10:37 PM
I also tried some IP on speed 5 using a yellow LC 6 inch constant pressure pad. It did not look any better than just using the MPPC it was just smoother with fewer swirls.

JasonD
03-21-2005, 10:40 PM
IP should have definitely gotten rid of a good bit of that oxidation, and if it didn`t then you might be at the limits of the PC in general. Before we discuss giving up, how about the process. How big of an area did you polish at a time and for how long?

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 11:07 PM
I did half the sunroof at speed 5 for about 3 min untill the Ip was almost completely dry.

Eliot Ness
03-21-2005, 11:10 PM
The roof seam looks like it has come off. Shouldn`t there be a hard rubber or plastic piece in there? Looks like what`s left is mostly glue or adhesive.... that`s just my guess from the picture.

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

The roof seam looks like it has come off. Shouldn`t there be a hard rubber or plastic piece in there? Looks like what`s left is mostly glue or adhesive.... that`s just my guess from the picture.

I thought the same thing. But it is like a clear film maybe 1-2 mil thick that has seperated in places solid in others. We lent the car out for about 1.5 years. I just do not remember there being any black plastic trim on the seam.

koko_b_ware
03-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Go back to IP, and crank the speed up to 6 and put some real pressue on the head of the PC. This will create some heat and make the process much faster.

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 11:18 PM
I just looked at some pics of the car when it was new. The seams of this car have always been painted.

JasonD
03-21-2005, 11:19 PM
In my opinion, IP just isn`t the best choice here. If you have to use it, then do as koko suggested, but IP is really meant to be used with a rotary which builds heat and the PC won`t. I`d really like to see how your car would look after a pass with some 3M PI III RC.

zippymbr
03-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

In my opinion, IP just isn`t the best choice here. If you have to use it, then do as koko suggested, but IP is really meant to be used with a rotary which builds heat and the PC won`t. I`d really like to see how your car would look after a pass with some 3M PI III RC.

IP is the strongest stuff I Have. I can go get some 3M. Is that a good choice to use with the PC?

JasonD
03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Yes, it is a good choice. 3M has a new line out called Perfect It 3000, but the older two versions should still be available, Perfect It II and III. Out of the three, I think the most preferred is the Perfect It III line. I would look into getting a bottle of PI III RC (Rubbing Compound) and PI III MG (Machine Glaze). I`m not sure of the product numbers, but as long as you know the names you should be fine.

The 3M stuff is very nice because it`s easy to use and doesn`t contain any oils or fillers so you can see your progress as you go. They work great via PC, rotary, or even by hand and the best part is they are available locally.

I`m not saying that this might solve your issue, but it`s what I would try.

Bill D
03-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I`ve used IP with the PC and Cyclo. In the case of the PC, yes, you have to have it on 6 and put pressure on the PC. It`s going to be long and tedious work but it may eventually produice results.

If you get the 3m twins you could incorporate the IP into the regimen, Perhaps IP follwed by the 3m rubbing compound, making several passes, then using the machine glaze/swirl remover to bring back the gloss and remove the maring from the IP and RC.

Set aside plenty of time to do all of this. Have plenty of fresh pads ready.

zippymbr
03-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. What would you all do if it was your car? I am open to anything that will work, and am not afraid to try something new. I can get hold of a rotary, I was just hoping to get this done using the PC I have.

JasonD
03-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Personally, I`d do the 3M routine and call it a day. A rotary will definitely speed things up but unless you are somewhat proficient with the rotary, I wouldn`t want to *learn* on this car, if you know what I mean. The PC should get you close to where you want to be, it`s just going to take a lot of patience and time. What pads are you working with again?