PDA

View Full Version : Make sure I`m not screwing this up

iuksob03
03-20-2005, 09:01 PM
I just joined, but have been doing a lot of reading in the past few months. I bought a 2005 Obsidian Black Subaru Legacy Gt Ltd back in october and after a recent wash, noticed a little bit of swirling on the hood. I just want to make sure I have the process down to get this taken care of. I plan on using a pc 7424 in the process.

I`ve also found two decent size paint chips on the door, but am unable to deterimine whether they are deep enough to just throw touch up paint on or whether I`ll have to go through the whole wet-sanding process. Any input would be appreciated.

Here`s what I`ve got so far:

1. Wash (Eagle One Wet Car Wash)

2. Clay Magic Claybar

3. Wash and dry.

4. Meguiar`s No. 82 (Do I need something stronger?)

5. Klasse AIO

6. 4* UPP

7. P21S

Anything I`m missing?

JasonD
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
That looks good to me. #82 is a good starting point, all depending on how severe the swirls are. If #82 doesn`t cut it, try #80. What pads are you going to use?

iuksob03
03-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I was looking at going with the Sonus SFX pads. Is there a better set to start with? I haven`t used the pc yet, but from what I can tell, it`s almost foolproof.

Accumulator
03-21-2005, 11:12 AM
iuksob03- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d use something a little stronger than the #82, Subie clear isn`t *that* hard, but it`s hard enough that I`d start with #80 if you`re using Meguiar`s stuff. FWIW, I worked mine with 3m PI-III stuff- their RC (05933) for major stuff and their MG (05937) for lighter correction. The PI-III MG is as mild as I ever used on a Subaru and it`s quite a bit stronger than the #82.

The PC is foolproof in that you aren`t likely to do damage, but it`s not foolproof in that it`ll always solve your problems quickly and easily ;) Plan on taking a full day and have something stronger than the #82 on hand.

FWIW#2, I don`t top my UPP; I like how it looks on its own and I like to be able to add more later.

IMO most chip repairs will require some kind of wetsanding (or some other method, such as Langka- ?sp?) to really blend in. FWIW#3 I usually just let the chips go on most of my vehicles and as long as I keep things well sealed I don`t have any trouble. I`d concentrate on getting the car generally detailed for now and just keep an eye on the chips. If they`re to the metal and start to rust, a drop of rust converter will stop that and provide a primer base for touch up paint.

cejacobs
03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. I`ll have to pick up some #80 before I get started. I`ll try just the UPP for now and if it looks like it needs something else, I`ll top it. This is my first new car, so I just want to do everything right to protect the finish.

Any advice regarding the pads? I was doing a little more searching last night and saw the excel pads. Is there really too much of a difference one way or another?

Accumulator
03-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cejacobs

Any advice regarding the pads? I was doing a little more searching last night and saw the excel pads. Is there really too much of a difference one way or another?

I haven`t used the Excel pads, but I`m confident that you won`t have any problems from them. Just use the right (polishing/finishing) one for the job.