PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Leather and Vinyl Treatment?

TheSopranos16
11-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Anyone ever use this? Good/bad? I was thinking of getting it because it sounds like it will really protect better than other treatments....any thoughts or experiences?

shaw
12-01-2004, 03:41 PM
I would think twice about using this product. It contains a naptha solvent for cleaning and will compromise your leather over time. The solvent will attack the protective coating on the leather. Over time, the coating will come off with repeated use which causes loss of color and flexibility. Solvents are not good for leather. My father first introduced me to Collinite L&V T.

Collinite is a small, unique company that is old school and noted for their high quality waxes that are discussed on detailing forums. They do not come out with new products and do not change existing stuff. They are updating some products only due to VOC regs that many are aware of. It leads me to believe IMHO that they have a couple of All-Stars in their line-up that they are riding; unlike others who are constantly refining and upgrading. Don`t get me wrong. I have used their wax for five years. My guess is that the leather formula has been around for quite some time.

It`s like poker. Keep your best and throw out the rest. Keep the wax and get dealt some new choices for your leather. Also, why not go with both a cleaner and a protectant for the leather? One step products often compromise protection to meet the cleaning need. Good Luck!

TheSopranos16
12-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Shaw, thanks for the response. I didn`t know that about the solvent but unfortunately I already ordered some to try. No one was responding so I figured that I would be the Guinea Pig. But thanks for the info because now I know NOT to try this on my car first. Maybe I`ll use it on cars that won`t get their leather cleaned often, so the negative effects of the naptha will be negligable. The thing that attracted me most to it was the idea of it containing a wax-like protectant that would help prevent staining. I`ll try it on my girlfriend`s parents car. They lease their vehicles and they wreck the inside so it should be a good test

shaw
12-02-2004, 08:26 AM
You will prolly get some decent results, especially if the seats are a mess. Plus, the lease aspect means the car will be gone without future worry. I think the risk is continued use of a product that has the solvent in it. Short term there should be no risk at all.

My father`s seats look good using Collinite, but he never keeps a ride more than two or three years. Tough teaching a stubborn old dog new tricks. I am going to have to give him a ticket from the Detail Police!:lmfao

Have fun!

TheSopranos16
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
LOL! Detail police, that what people think I am. I rip everyone elses finish a new one. Its like they don`t see that the paint is dull and has contamination all over it.

Anyway, the collinite sould arrive today so I`ll give it a try and maybe ill post a review...