PDA

View Full Version : How do I convince this guy...

Pages : [1] 2

GoodnClean
03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
There`s a member at the LOC that does a lot of detailing. His process is a little...disjointed and he duplicates a lot of steps, but in the past he hasn`t been willing to accept suggestions so I leave it alone.

Now though he`s planning on doing another members car, a black single stage LS400 that has serious paint issues *I* personally think could be made much better with an experienced detailer, but the first member is going to do it.

He`s going to use a rotary...with a wool pad...and he uses it to REMOVE product. He applies it by hand or with the orbital and removes it with the rotary after its dried. I`ve posted several long posts trying to dissuade him from this, and I think I succeeded in making him not plan to use the rotary but I can`t persuade him that the way he uses the rotary is not correct. I`ve posted links to Autopia, analogies using sandpaper and sanders to try and prove my point, so far its been a no go.

So my question is, how do I convince him? He`s a nice kid, but he`s not at all open to criticism or suggestion about most topics.

STBear
03-20-2005, 11:47 AM
It might be easier to convince the other member that the processes that this person is going to use are wrong for his car and he should get it detailed elsewhere.

imported_Sullybob
03-20-2005, 12:31 PM
It sounds like you have tried to persuade this guy from different angles. Some people cant take any kind of criticism, constructive or not.

Maybe you should tell the member with the car that you will do one panel for free. You could show the member your skills and techniques and explain why you do things the way you do. Then with a little education on detailing he will know what questions to ask the other detailer.

I think STBear hit the nail on the head.

6']['9
03-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Tell us his name so we can all telll him what hes doing is wrong.

No but really id talk to the customer and tell him whats going on and then point out to the member the things he did wrong whether he likes it or not. you can just tell him your trying to help him get his process straight so he can make more $$

GoodnClean
03-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I would do that except that he`s in Louisiana lol.

I posted one last post we`ll see how it goes and then I`ll PM the LS` owner.

Thanks guys!

6']['9
03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
whats the LOC?

imported_dpeezy415
03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
WOW...

The source of criticism matters and so does how you tell them.

It`s hard to take advice when you`re not looking for it, especially coming from someone on the same level as you or even below you...

Who`d you rather get advice on shooting free throws, Shaq or Reggie Miller?

If he`s a member point him to some tutorials or good posts, and let him know that you just wanna help. Otherwise, some people are hopeless are have to learn from screwing up.

GoodnClean
03-20-2005, 01:08 PM
The LOC is the Lexus Owners Club. Its a Lexus enthusiast site that I moderate.

I moderate the detailing forum on there, and I`m pretty much seen as the site detailing expert so the source should be legitimate, I`ve also been careful about how I present the info to him.

6']['9
03-20-2005, 01:12 PM
id just say to throw a post to him and say that this and that is not a good idea, Then when the vehicle gets done and he post pics make sure theyre in sunlight so "if" he does mess up you can correct him online.

JasonD
03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
What part of Louisiana is he from?

imported_lix
03-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

So my question is, how do I convince him? He`s a nice kid, but he`s not at all open to criticism or suggestion about most topics. I think you may have to accept that you won`t convince him and that he will need to learn for himself. Some people are quite closed like that, particuarly when the subject is something they are passionate about. It`s a shame but whilst some of us are eager to learn and absorb and accept tips and pointers like a sponge, others are as hard as a rock.

JeffM
03-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I would just put up 5 pics of cars you have done, and simply explain how you did it.

Then i would simply call him a moron when he doesnt listen.

Some people need the blatent truth told sometimes.

Maybe make a sticky, how to polish cars, and how to spot a hack :)

GoodnClean
03-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I have several stickies with tutorials and how-tos up all written by me with knowledge learned here. We also had access to most of David`s tutorials until Lexus made us shut down the LexusCarCare site that he set up for us.

JD- The guy that owns the LS is fron New Orleans and the guy that needs the detailing tips is from TX.

rollman
03-20-2005, 02:35 PM
There`s an old saying . You can`t teach a pig to sing . It just makes the pig mad and wastes your time .

CarsFreak
03-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I did a double take reading this. Rotary w/ wool pad for removal. Not good.

I agree with the others (heh) and try to convince the LS owner instead of the detailist.