PDA

View Full Version : Dupont Teflon Products - How come they are contradicting themselves?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Inzane
03-20-2005, 02:49 AM
Wasn`t it Dupont themselves, the makers of Teflon, that stated years ago that "Teflon" as an ingredient would do nothing for paint protection?? Why is it now that Dupont has their own brand of car care products that are touting Teflon has a new wonder ingredient for the waxes, etc??

:nixweiss :nixweiss :nixweiss

LouisanaJeeper
03-20-2005, 03:10 AM
$$$

Setec Astronomy
03-20-2005, 07:02 AM
It`s not their own brand, it`s Tenneco`s brand. They use the DuPont Teflon name under license. I imagine they are decent products (for what they are), even if the Teflon doesn`t do anything, so probably DuPont doesn`t have anything to lose with this arrangement.

JeffM
03-20-2005, 08:41 AM
I doubt there is any teflon in any of the products.

I have a sample of the tire dressing, it is water based, and has laster about 2 weeks for me now.

*Although, i applied it over Eagles dressing, but that was at the end of its looks life ...

togwt
03-20-2005, 11:44 AM
`Brand name recognition + $$
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

It`s not their own brand, it`s Tenneco`s brand. They use the DuPont Teflon name under license. I imagine they are decent products (for what they are), even if the Teflon doesn`t do anything, so probably DuPont doesn`t have anything to lose with this arrangement. :xyxthumbs

Teflon ®:

A synthetic polymer formula produced by Dupont Chemicals, they state;" The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer paint does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes.

Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to sinter or bond to a surface." Unless you can heat the surface to the required temperature, Teflon will not bond, the claim that it will provide a â€Ëœnon-stickâ€â„¢, slippery surface is nothing more than marketing hype (i.e. brand recognition)

JonM

Steve530
03-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Slippery marketing ;)

gb387
03-20-2005, 01:37 PM
TOGWT....

Found that same thing here:

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/faq.htm#12

That is very interesting. The average consumer will just pick up the wax and buy it just for that reason, it has Teflon. Thats a big name!

The funny thing is that I was suckered into something similar.... I bought two household cleaners W/Teflon. I bought them since thats what the bottles said "W/Teflon" but I am sure it falls in the same category as the care care products. I can not heat the surface of my counters/Floor to 700 degrees.

Interesting!

:confused:

gb387
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Steve530

Slippery marketing ;)

They have really been advertising like crazy on Spike TV.

"A Miracle of Science by Dupont"

wannafbody
03-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Eagle 1 products caontain Teflon-the spray and wipe and the car wash-both very good products-it may be that the Teflon aids in application of the product -i wouldn`t dismiss a product simply because it has Teflon in it

Woob
03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes I remember requesting info about a product with teflon and I was told it helps in Application. Either way the entire Teflon idea is just a ploy to get your regular average customer to buy the product. $$$

foxtrapper
03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Briggs and Stratton recommends and endorses Slick50 for their engines, while in the owners manual they warn you that using oil additives will void your warranty. Contradictory marketing is not at all unusual.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1835_80814676

Dupont makes and sells their own teflon car wax.

The effectiveness and advantages of teflon in a car was are of course debatable. While it won`t form a particularly impressive bond, suspended teflon that is essentially dried to the surface will stay there, unless knocked off. Since it hasn`t been heat bonded, it`s quite a bit easier to knock off. What the perceived advantages are in a car wax I don`t know.

stilez
03-22-2005, 02:57 PM
I think your paint would melt off at 680*

I just laugh at that Jeff Gordon Teflon commercial. If he was really a good driver, he could`ve just gone through the puddle slow, then taken off far before the truck got to him :rofl

-10 for Dupont

Scottwax
03-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by wannafbody

-i wouldn`t dismiss a product simply because it has Teflon in it

I will, because I don`t want to reward a company for perpetuating the Teflon® myth.

87maxxima
04-02-2005, 11:16 PM
every one is bashing this stuff but has anyone ever even used it?

termigator
04-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by 87maxxima

every one is bashing this stuff but has anyone ever even used it?

Why reward a company for using deceptive marketing to advertise their product? It probably has a money back guarantee, but they`re counting on most people not wanting to bother.