PDA

View Full Version : PC Question

dsheli
03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Hello everyone!!! Well our X5 got damaged in a major hail storm. All in all around 6 to 7 thousand dollars in damage. Well thankfully I live in Hotlanta where the only southeast BMW certified auto body repair shop is located.(MAGNUM) How long should I wait on a newly painted hood before I can Klasse it? When polishing how much polish should I use for one panel. In the passed when I have polished the product would be dry before I could wipe it off. Am I not using enough?

Thanks,

David

White95Max
03-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Wait 30-90 days. 30 if you`re a risky person, 90 if you prefer to be SURE that the paint is fully cured.

dsheli
03-19-2005, 11:09 PM
What about rain?

Mad iX
03-19-2005, 11:12 PM
^ True, and the repair shop should also tell you anyway. In the meantime you can use Meg`s #80 applied by hand to give it some protection while still allowing it to `breathe`.

CarsFreak
03-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Don`t cars not "breathe" when there`s clearcoat there?

dsheli
03-19-2005, 11:16 PM
So rain is ok right? I am not going to touch it for 90 days. So it is obviously going to get dirty. Should I just not clean it?

White95Max
03-19-2005, 11:37 PM
You can clean it all you want. Just don`t apply any sealants or waxes to the paint. I worked in a body shop for a while, and I would wash cars the day after they were painted.

CarsFreak = The clearcoat is part of the paint job. When I say the paint needs to cure (release gases) I am talking about the entire paintjob, basecoat and clear.

dsheli
03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Ok, so wash with Sonus car shampoo (Is not all that good suds go away to quickly) and dry. Got it. Now what about the polishing question? Should I also wait 3 months before I have the 3m Bra installed?

David

CarsFreak
03-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I don`t have too much knowledge about this entire paint thing.

As far as I know, there`s the base coat followed by the final layer of clearcoat which seals everything in, right? And if that seals everything in, then nothing can get to the paint and nothing can leave the paint, right?

Eliot Ness
03-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by dsheli

.......Now what about the polishing question? Should I also wait 3 months before I have the 3m Bra installed?......

You can polish it with Meg`s #80. It also contains a glaze that is safe for new paint (will allow it to cure) and will protect it for a week or two (depends on weather, # of washes, etc.). Be careful with #80, it has mild abrasives in it and new (re)paint is a bit softer until it fully cures. For a glaze with no abrasives try 3M IHG, 3M FG, Meg`s #3 or #5.

For the bra I would also wait until the paint has fully cured.

josh_s70glt
03-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by CarsFreak

Sorry, I`m don`t have too much knowledge about this entire paint thing.

As far as I know, there`s the base coat followed by the final layer of clearcoat which seals everything in, right? And if that seals everything in, then nothing can get to the paint and nothing can leave the paint, right?

the base coat is for color only, the clear coat is for protecting the base coat, but the clear coat is paint....just clear

oh yeah...and bras are not good for your hood, especially in wet climates.

White95Max
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
I would wait until the paint is fully cured before installing a bra.