PDA

View Full Version : help with rotary pads...

wannafbody
03-19-2005, 04:20 PM
i`ve been using a polishing pad with the rotary and it leaves a nice fiinish but i haven`t been able to remove all the swirls on the hood of my mom`s car-should i step up to a more abrasive polish or use a more aggressive pad? which way gets better results?

MorBid
03-19-2005, 04:48 PM
What polish are you using?

What RPM`s on the Rotary?

Are you letting the product break down all the way or stopping too soon?

or

Are you working the product too long (till it`s dry) and thereby creating more swirls.

As paint defects go, swirl marks are low on the pole. Any decent polish used with a light cut pad should make easy work of them.

Scratches (medium to heavy but not through the clear coat) and/or oxidation usually require a more aggressive polish.

wannafbody
03-19-2005, 09:59 PM
they are probably scratches more than swirls-not sure of the speed-I use the low setting and the trigger allows variable speeds-I used Mothers PowerPolish and it removed a lot of swirls-worked it a while and wiped it off-i might not have used enough product or enough passes for the deeper stuff

MorBid
03-20-2005, 09:24 AM
What model rotary? You may need to bump up the rpms (speed) on the rotary. Never used that particular polish but most work best with heat (hence the need for higher rpms.

If using a light cut pad try a medium one for the scratches.

wannafbody
03-20-2005, 05:49 PM
its a old sears two speed grinder/buffer-it seems fairly fast-I don`t want to go too fast and cause damage-i`m using 8 inch pads with it

MorBid
03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Okay I know what type it is. Since you can`t increase the rpm`s I would try it a few more times with what you have and if still not making any progress maybe try another polish.

Whose 8" pads are these (who makes them)?

wannafbody
03-20-2005, 11:15 PM
i`m using a black speedy cut polishing pad- 80 pores per inch-its fairly soft-just guessing i`d say the low setting maxes out at 1400 rpm or so