PDA

View Full Version : Small scratch removal

mrflavor
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just registered today. Great site. Quick question for the pros:

I have a 2002 Porsche 911 in white. On the rear fender flares I saw a few light scratches, (I`m guessing they are in the clear coat?) you have to catch it in the right light to see them. I went and bought Meguiars scratchx at Autozone and applied it and buffed by hand. An hour later the scratches are still there. You can hardly feel them with the finger nail, no paint damage. Any suggestions would be great and appreciated. I`m thinking a Porter Cable with a light swirl mark remover or scratch remover might work? Please help....

Thanks,

Steve

togwt
03-18-2005, 07:28 PM
:welcome to Autopia mrflavor

You might want to try 2-3 passes with ScratchX before moving up to a SMR polish like 3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze(for Minor to Moderate Swirls) and polishing pad.

The basis for this is to use the least aggresive product first before `stepping-up` to something more abrasive.

JonM

audipower
03-19-2005, 05:33 AM
Can you fell it with your finger nail? IF yes your going to need touch up paint especially on a plastic bumper. If not you`ll need some aggressive polish. Use a less abrasive polish first like Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Sonus SFX-2. then if that doesn`t work go to Autoglym Paint Renovator or Sonus Sfx-1. Sfx-2 will get normally all light scratches out with a polish pad. Then use a lighter polish to restore shine.

PhilS
03-19-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by mrflavor

I went and bought Meguiars scratchx at Autozone and applied it and buffed by hand. An hour later the scratches are still there.

I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but did you just apply the ScratchX, wait an hour then buff off?

mrflavor
03-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by PhilS

I might be interpreting this incorrectly, but did you just apply the ScratchX, wait an hour then buff off?

No man worked on the car for an hour, a couple of applications of scratch x on both fenders! :)

Accumulator
03-19-2005, 12:20 PM
mrflavor- Welcome to Autopia!

Sounds like you just need something more aggressive than the Scratch-X.

I`d try the PI-III MG (pn 05937) that TOGWT recommended. Other Porsche owners have found it worked well for them. If even *that* is too mild you might need PI-III RC (pn 05933) and then follow up with the MG. Both of these products will work fine by hand so you don`t really *have* to buy a PC. It would make it a lot easier/quicker though. If you don`t want to order over the internet, perhaps HERE (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825), you can probably find them at places that supply autobody/paint shops, just look in the yellow pages.

Bill D
03-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Perfect It III has been replaced by the new Perfect It 3000 series. I understand the equivlaent products are the Rubbing Compound and Swirl Mark Remover (http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_XD11WTZMRGbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_FBTP260H70gl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)