PDA

View Full Version : PC for sanding

CharlesW
04-27-2003, 07:49 PM
This is slightly off topic, but not far.
Saturday, I used my PC 7336 as a sander. Worked quite well, but since that is what it was designed for, that was no real surprise.
My spring project is fixing up an old pontoon boat and new carpet was the first item on my list. The PC did a great job of removing the adhesive residue and small remains of carpet after I pulled the majority up. Using the adhesive nacking plate that came with the 7336, I used 80 grit Norton sanding discs. 60 grit might have been OK, but I didn`t want to tear up the deck anymore than necessary. Just took a little longer and did a good job.
Just thought I would remind everyone with a PC, it can be used for more than polishing your car. :)

NattyBumppo
04-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Excellent post! I think I`m going to use my PC to refinish the oak staircase in my house.

Natty

87 Monte SS
04-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Hey, good point! I have an old 85 Monte SS that I drive in the rain and the winter that has some surface rust. I wonder if I could use the PC and a sanding disc to rip off that rust so I can primer the thing? Hmmm......

Koop
04-28-2003, 05:49 PM
where did you pick up the backing plate for that?

CharlesW
04-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Koop
where did you pick up the backing plate for that?
It came with the 7336.
The 7336 is/was marketed as a sander/polisher. At the time I bought mine, it came with the backing plate for use with adhesive backed sanding discs and a white screw-on foam polishing pad. I had to purchase a velcro backing plate for use with the Meguiar`s polishing pads I use. Most likely there would be several plates available. It is a 6" plate and has a 5/16" stud to mount to the unit.

kimwallace
01-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Just ran across this thread.
I used my PC as a sander also while doing a woodworking project and it worked great.
It is mot a balanced as my air powered DA sander(used for autobody work), but did a nice job with less dust blowing around.
The PC has the same motion as the DA sander, so it could be used for auto body work, sanding paint, etc. .....
The best tool for the job ... no ... but it will work

tubafeak
01-16-2005, 12:10 PM
I like using my PC as a sander, but you have to be meticulous about cleaning it off when you`re done, otherwise the sawdust (sanding-dust?) could get on to the polishing pad and wreck your paint.

scrub
01-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I like using my PC as a sander, but you have to be meticulous about cleaning it off when you`re done, otherwise the sawdust (sanding-dust?) could get on to the polishing pad and wreck your paint.

Great point! I use my PC to scrub carpets and polish paint. I ordered a couple of cyclo brushes that bolt on the PC head. Works great. Th PC is truly a versatile machine.

kimwallace
01-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Great point ... I usually blow it off good with the air hose after I am done.
Just thought this is a good way for a hobby detailer to get more use out of their investment ...
Also Back up pads for stick on sandpaper are available at autobody supply stores and I have even seem some at Walmart.