PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Rinsing; 2 bucket vs hose

beastie
03-17-2005, 10:45 PM
I`ve been blasting my wash mitt with a powerful stream from the hose. Seems to work well. Why do Autopians advocate the 2 bucket method over using a hose?

Thanks.

LarryM
03-17-2005, 10:57 PM
My only guess right now is to not tear the wash mitts apart from the heavy stream of water....just a guess though.....i`d like to see some of the pros responses

Bill D
03-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I`d do both to totally ensure you`re dislodging any dirt or grit stuck in the mitt. I`m also a big advocate of multiple mitts per wash. I think of having several mitts on tap as "investing in my paint".

beastie
03-17-2005, 11:57 PM
I usually use a lambs wool mitt on top and a soft feathered brush on the bottom 8 inches of my Miata. I may use multiple mitts if the car is really dirty. What I would want to find out is if the bucket dunking rinse dislodges more dirt than the hose jet method. Am I just pushing in the dirt deeper into the mitt by using a water jet? I shoot the jet at a downward 45 degree angle starting at the top of the mitt. I just don`t hear anyone using the hose rinse around here. It seems very effective, time-saving and more convenient.

Bill D
03-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I don`t give it much thought because if I`m dealing with anything considerably dirty I`m going to switch to a new mitt right away but I`m also always using a foam gun.

I`d be a concerned about that brush though :nervous:. Unless you`re using a boar`s hair brush very gently you might be really risking marring especially if I`m understanding the degree of dirt your dealing with correctly. ( Check under artificial lighting: fluorescents, 1000 watt halogens and high watt incandescents to inspect for marring in addition to intense sunlight)

togwt
03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Washing Vehicle:

Clean the vehicle in this order: Roof, front hood, front fenders, doors, rear fenders, doors, rear deck lid, rear fenders, and rear of vehicle, then clean wheel surfaces, tyres, wheel fenders and finally engine compartment. This is usually a progression from the least to the most soiled areas.

Methodology

â€Â¢To reduce the risk of scratching paint finish start by thoroughly rinsing the vehicle to remove loose surface dirt and grime, use a gentle spray (Ultimate Nozzle) you don`t want to cause impact abrasion to the paint surface, take your time and be careful and you`ll avoid paint damage.

â€Â¢Apply a tar remover (Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover) on lower panels, using a soft 100% cotton cloth to avoid contaminating your wash mitt.

â€Â¢Use a pH balanced pre wash treatment (Stage One PreWash) spray two â€â€œ three panels and rise off with low pressure water (this will avoid spay dying and causing water spots) once the vehicle has been pre-treated rinse the entire vehicle with low pressure water.

â€Â¢Use a quality car wash shampoo specifically formulated for automotive use, one that contains conditioning lubricants (Menzerna Auto Shampoo) that enable abrasive particles to rinse off without abrading the paints surface..

â€Â¢Use the recommended water / car wash ratio as per manufactures label; usually this is 1-2 oz per gallon. Too much wash concentrate will leave a sticky film on the paint and glass surfaces that will attract dirt / dust.

â€Â¢Fill two 5-gallon buckets (Grit GuardTm, this bucket has a grid that allows you to agitate the wash mitt and allows grit/dirt to fall as opposed to being suspended in the solution) with warm, not hot water. One is for wash solution the other for rinsing the mitt to ensure that any abrasive dirt particles are not put back into the wash solution.

â€Â¢While the vehicle is still wet from the rinse load the sheepskin mitt with wash solution and apply to horizontal surfaces (roof, hood and trunk lid) and then thoroughly rise with hose.

â€Â¢Use a separate mitt for the lower vertical surfaces as these collect more road film, pay special attention to rinsing this mitt, so ensure nothing is transferred to the other surfaces from a contaminated mitt.

â€Â¢Apply wash solution to vertical surfaces and rinse thoroughly.

â€Â¢Use a soft boarâ€â„¢s hairbrush to clean bumpers, plastic trim and all the crevices.

JonM

kompressornsc
03-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I do both if there is a lot of debris on the car. I find that little pieces of leaves that get stuck everywhere in the fall after a rain won`t come out of mitts with a swirl in the bucket. Especailly if I`m using my MF mitts-they trap everything.

opass
03-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Washing Vehicle:

â€Â¢Apply a tar remover (Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover) on lower panels, using a soft 100% cotton cloth to avoid contaminating your wash mitt.

â€Â¢Fill two 5-gallon buckets (Grit GuardTm, this bucket has a grid that allows you to agitate the wash mitt and allows grit/dirt to fall as opposed to being suspended in the solution) with warm, not hot water. One is for wash solution the other for rinsing the mitt to ensure that any abrasive dirt particles are not put back into the wash solution.

JonM

What about using Tar Remover before rinsing (water)? I am thinking water may reduce the strength of tar remover. :rolleyes:

the other pc
03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Try using a rinse bucket after every "hose" rinse of the mitt. If there`s any dirt/grit in the bottom when you`re done you`ll have your answer.

PC.