PDA

View Full Version : HUGE newbie here.

Pages : [1] 2

JamesonC
03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Hello all, I am way too overwhelmed to understand anything in this forum right now. I`ll just go over basically what I do with my car. Wash, then dry, then apply meguiars cleaner wax. Done. I know you guys might flame me, but I am really interested in the detailing game. Any help to get me started would be appreciated.

Setec Astronomy
03-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Welcome! That doesn`t sound like a bad regimen, if you do it regularly. If you click on the "learn!" link at the top of this page, you will be connected with a wealth of knowledge to start with.

SayNoToPistons
03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Download the e-book. great info!

Don
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Welcome! That doesn`t sound like a bad regimen, if you do it regularly.

I agree.

If you want to go all out, the entire process can be broken into five steps: (As written by Mike Phillips)

Washing

Before detailing your car, first do an extremely good job of washing it. Remove all the dirt from all the nooks and crannies. This prevents any small abrasive dirt particle from entering into the machine polishing process and potentially instilling a swirl. Get the Car Sparkling Clean to start with and everything will be downhill after that.

Claying

After that clay the car, at least the horizontal surfaces. Again, do a good job of claying to insure you remove all above surface contaminants. The level of gloss you can achieve from your car`s finish is mostly determined by how smooth you can make your paint. Claying will make your car`s finish as smooth as glass.

After washing and and claying the car, and the car is all dry and ready to work on, the first thing you should do is to tape off any parts of the car you want to protect from splatter or prevent getting any product onto.

Now move onto the cleaning step.

Cleaning

Cleaning is different than washing. Cleaning is removing both above surface defects like oxidation and below surface defects like swirls, scratches, etchings, and dirt that has embedded itself under the surface. Choose the appropriate paint cleaner for the condition of your car`s finish and your application process. If you`re unsure of which paint cleaner or cleaner/polish is right for your car, describe your car and if possible post a picture and we`ll be glad to make some recommendations.

Polishing

Polishing after removing the defects is typically using a pure polish that is non-abrasive to restore brilliant high gloss and deep, dark reflections. This is an optional step and one best used on medium to dark colored car.

Protecting

This is where you apply your choice of wax or paint protectant. Adding a layer or two of wax creates a sacrificial-barrier on your car`s paint to protect it and also add shine and gloss. Generally, two thin coats will insure even coverage with a uniform appearance.

Maintaining

Maintaining is the use of products like a quick detailer or a spray wax to maintain that "Just detailed look" in-between regular washings, and the regular application of a normal coat of wax.

imported_Denzil
03-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks for that brief description Don. I found it really helpful to get the gist of things.

goceltics34
03-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Where can I download the ebook?

imported_Denzil
03-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Well I downloaded my ebook when I registered for these forums. It should be in your email.

goceltics34
03-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I don`t have it. Can you tell me where I can look for it?

Dvs Ndn
03-18-2005, 02:54 AM
um you can email david or if you buy some from this site you will get a cd-rom for free.

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/index.html

Lowejackson
03-18-2005, 09:35 AM
You can download the book from here http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

goceltics34
03-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks

JamesonC
03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok, so when you detail, and go through all that good stuff, the car does look better right? I`m not just wasting my time.

hirosh
03-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JamesonC

Ok, so when you detail, and go through all that good stuff, the car does look better right? I`m not just wasting my time.

yeah, if done properly, the car should look better. try checking out this forum for examples:

Xtreme Detailing Contest Forum (http://autopia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=104)

and not only does you car look better, you`re keeping the paint clean and providing protection for it from the environment.

Aurora
03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hirosh

yeah, if done properly, the car should look better. try checking out this forum for examples:

Xtreme Detailing Contest Forum (http://autopia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=104)

and not only does you car look better, you`re keeping the paint clean and providing protection for it from the environment. It will look better. My car looks better than most new ones sitting at the dealer.

Proper washing is very critical.

Off topic story:

Just yesterday I got my car back from the dealer. The parts guy says,"We washed her up for you." I was cursing him in my mind, but I just said, "Gee, thanks." It is swirled all over, with slight scratches above the door where they entered and exited the vehicle I guess. They did more damage in one wash than I have all year, including winter with snow and all.

imported_Denzil
03-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Heh, I try to avoid dealership at all costs. They`re just like people at Fry`s... they don`t know what the hell they are talking about nor what they are doing. :eek: