PDA

View Full Version : Souveran over Autoglym super Resin Polish

opass
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM
How long does it take for Autoglym SRP to cure before apply Souveran wax as LSP? 24 hrs or no need to wait?

togwt
03-17-2005, 07:35 PM
SRP is formulated from amino functional resins and therefore must be given sufficient time to cross-link, >24 hours, but anytime up to a 72< hour period is recommended before any other products are applied. This provides better durability and a deeper shine

JonM

Accumulator
03-17-2005, 07:48 PM
I`ve used that combo on my XJS for years. I apply a second coat of SRP after 24 hours, trying to be *very* gentle and not disturb the existing one. Yeah, I know about the conventional wisdom that says "you can`t layer stuff like that". Heh heh, I wouldn`t do it if I thought I was wasting my time ;)

Then a day or so later I apply the Souveran. IMO it might be smart to do a "spit shine" when applying the Souveran, or at least when doing additional applications of it.

As TOGWT said, the "24 hours" timeframe should probably be considered a minimum with SRP. Now that I have a clean, dust-free garage, I`ll wait longer than a day whenever possible.

opass
03-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

SRP is formulated from amino functional resins and therefore must be given sufficient time to cross-link, >24 hours, but anytime up to a 72< hour period is recommended before any other products are applied. This provides better durability and a deeper shine

JonM

I am little unpatience today and already waxed it over SRP within 45 minutes before recheck this post. Do you think Souveran over SRP combo will last 4 weeks just like wax itself? I don`t really care the sealant durabilty as long as the wax is not going to wash away by next 3 wash. :rolleyes:

Accumulator
03-17-2005, 08:08 PM
opass- Heh heh, you report back after a while and let *us* know how it lasted :D I`ve always let it cure so I really dunno what you should expect. If I *had* to guess I`d say you`ll get longer than just the Souveran but shorter than the combo would normally last. It`s not like you totally screwed up and are gonna have a problem after the next wash or anything like that.

But watch you don`t use too harsh a shampoo, you can compromise Souveran with one wash if you`re not careful.

opass
03-17-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

opass- Heh heh, you report back after a while and let *us* know how it lasted :D I`ve always let it cure so I really dunno what you should expect. If I *had* to guess I`d say you`ll get longer than just the Souveran but shorter than the combo would normally last. It`s not like you totally screwed up and are gonna have a problem after the next wash or anything like that.

But watch you don`t use too harsh a shampoo, you can compromise Souveran with one wash if you`re not careful.

Accumulator.....No problem for the follow up report. Hopefully like you said this combo will last for 3 weeks+. Thanks for the headup about the shampoo tip. I will use Pinnacle shampoo for a match as insurance.

Lowejackson
03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I would expect the combination to last a lot longer than a few weeks but to anticipate some reduction in longevity.

I have just been thinking about the application of Gloss directly on to the Resin and wondering how this might effect the bonding?

Accumulator
03-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by opass

Thanks for the headup about the shampoo tip. I will use Pinnacle shampoo for a match as insurance.

Actually, I always found the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo to be pretty *harsh*. It has good lubricity and cleans well, but if you mix it even a *little* strong it will, *in my experience*, strip waxes like Souveran. Funny, huh? I always expected it to be the best shampoo for this, but my LSPs last a *lot* longer since I switched to Griot`s (and before that Meg`s #62 and #00). I like the Pinnacle but I got tired of rewaxing so often.

Mix it up sorta weak and wash before it gets dirty enough to need something stronger.

opass
03-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Actually, I always found the Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo to be pretty *harsh*. It has good lubricity and cleans well, but if you mix it even a *little* strong it will, *in my experience*, strip waxes like Souveran. Funny, huh? I always expected it to be the best shampoo for this, but my LSPs last a *lot* longer since I switched to Griot`s (and before that Meg`s #62 and #00). I like the Pinnacle but I got tired of rewaxing so often.

Mix it up sorta weak and wash before it gets dirty enough to need something stronger.

Very interesting. End user usually expect same product line should be very compatible. In this case, I change my mind to PB SSS for testing purpose.

Accumulator
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

..I have just been thinking about the application of Gloss directly on to the Resin and wondering how this might effect the bonding?

Just occurs to me that back in the day some people used to mix the two products to make a one-step/"cleaner wax" of sorts. Claimed it worked better than just using SRP alone so there must have been some degree of compatibility and synergy (unless they just saw what they wanted to see ;) ).