PDA

View Full Version : Ssr

jakes29
03-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Please help!

I am thinking of purchasing a SSR to remove light scratches. I have a dark green honda accord.

I will be using a rotary dewalt. Which SSR should I go with, 1,2, or 3? and what wax should I follow up with.

I am fairly unfamiliar with a lot of the products discussed on Autopia so please bear with me.

Any help is as always greatly appreciated:xyxthumbs

joshcaro
03-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Depending on how light you are talking about, but since you are using a rotary I would say start with 1. Always go with least abrasive approach first.

Its hard to know what wax to suggest to you without knowing the color of the car but I will say since you are already ordering the Poorboys lineup I would buy EXP+ for light colored cars and EX for darker (this will be your sealant). Then order Nattys Paste Wax, which is nice on any color (but to me nicer on darker cars). All very easy to use.

jakes29
03-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by CutNAction

Depending on how light you are talking about, but since you are using a rotary I would say start with 1. Always go with least abrasive approach first.

Its hard to know what wax to suggest to you without knowing the color of the car but I will say since you are already ordering the Poorboys lineup I would buy EXP+ for light colored cars and EX for darker (this will be your sealant). Then order Nattys Paste Wax, which is nice on any color (but to me nicer on darker cars). All very easy to use.

It a dark green honda.

So you are saying I should do this:?

1. SSR 1

2. EX

3. Nattys

what is the best application method for a paste wax? I have only used liquid waxes with an orbital.

joshcaro
03-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Yea thats a very good start. Also seeing your car is a 2000 i doubt its ever been clayed. Claying is a essential part in prepping paint for that perfect shine. It will rid your car of containiments from everyday driving situations. Its a very easy step to accomplish and you can find clay locally at most any auto parts store.

Now for your question on paste wax. I suggest using a slightly damp foam applicator (can also buy from most any auto stores as well as Walmart). Just rub the applicator on the wax and glide across the surface of your paint.

jakes29
03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Claying should come before SSR, correct?

So it would be :

wash

clay

wash

ssr

ex

nattys

Sorry for so many questions:D

joshcaro
03-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Its ok..everyone has to start out somewhere.

For me, as well as others, its easiest to clay during wash to simply eliminate a step. Wash your car as you usually do (hopefully practicing good washing techniques) and clay after you have "scrubbed" then rinse as usual. Dry with WW (if available). Then SSR, EX, and Nattys.

For very good references and detailed (yet short) videos explaining some of the steps visit www.adamspolishes.com There about 15 or so odd videos explaining how to do certain steps (obviously with their own product line). I still find it a very good reference for beginners.

jakes29
03-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Sorry but what is WW? Waffle weave? I`ve got those

MS22
03-17-2005, 03:04 PM
I am unaware why so many people insist on washing a second time after claying. As long as you use a QD as lube and not smear the clay all over the paint improperly you can just wipe off the QD and go right to the polish, SSR in your case.

General Lee
03-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Jake- If you are going with Poorboys SSR line, I recommend getting *at least* SSR 1 and SSR 2.5

That way if you find SSR1 isn`t powerful enough to tackle the job you can step up to 2.5, very good product. Then in case you get some slight hazing from 2.5 just hit with the SSR1 and you`ll be good to go.

jakes29
03-17-2005, 05:01 PM
cool thanks guys.

I think I will go with SSR 1 and 2.5 and only wash once. I`ll be sure to take some before and after pics.

Just to make sure, SSR is okay to use with a dewalt rotary right? Should i go with a wool or foam pad.

Most likely I will start with a foam pad and see what happens. What do you guys think?

General Lee
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Always start out with the least agressive. In your case start with SSR1 and a polishing pad. If it doesn`t cut it move up to the 2.5 and a polishing pad, if still isn`t cutiing it try 2.5 w/ a cutting pad. You may then have to follow the cutting pad w/ a polishing pad and SSR1.

From your first post in this thread you said light scratches.... You should not need to use a wool pad. Be careful with those