PDA

View Full Version : Ok, still can`t figure it out...

ExplorerXLT95
03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I still, after all this time as an Autopian, am a bit unsure about the before and after steps of a polish such as 3M SMR, DACP or Menzerna FPII. Mainly, I think it`s because I have yet to need either of them badly, and as such have never really used them. I guess because I`ve always used good products and kept my cars in good condition, especially paint-wise. I`ve played a bit with 3M SMR by PC on my dad`s car, but very little.

So basically, here`s my question:

After using a polish such as 3M SMR, DACP, or Menzerna FPII, what is the appropriate next step/product??

In the very, very limited experimentation with polishes on my dad`s beater, I found that after using 3M SMR by PC, there was a noticeable loss of gloss in the area I applied it. After applying AIO and SG, it returned, but I`m wondering if there should have been a step to restore gloss immediately after the 3M SMR. That is the main source of my question.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents :xyxthumbs

Wasatch
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
The next step would be to use a final polish such as: PBs SSR1, VM, PBs PP to name a few. If I`m wrong please let me know.

ExplorerXLT95
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

The next step would be to use a final polish such as: PBs SSR1, VM, PBs PP to name a few. If I`m wrong please let me know.

:nixweiss I hope someone has some info for us :xyxthumbs

seracis
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
I think the Menzerna IP would be comparable to DACP. FPII is close to SSR1 and VM. I have heard where DACP and 3M PI III have not needed a next-step polish, but I would think that another step would not be out of the question.

blackntan
03-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Exaclty what everyone has said. The next step is a polish, a mild abrasive.

It goes like this:

Swirl remover (removes swirls, but it`s abrasive, removes gloss)

Polish (mild abrasive, restores gloss)

wax (no abrasive - protects finish)

AIO is one of the polishes, so you were correct in your steps. You did SMR (swirl remover) AIO (polish) SG (wax/sealant)

My favorite combo goes like this:

3M fine cut with PC and cutting pad (cutting pad + fine cut = abrasive swirl remover)

AIO with PC and polishing pad (AIO + mild, smooth polishing pad = super shiny)

Gliptone platinium with PC and waxing pad (wax + waxing pad = perfect shiny happy protected finish)

So yeah. You`re fine. You`re doing it right...

ExplorerXLT95
03-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by blackntan

Exaclty what everyone has said. The next step is a polish, a mild abrasive.

It goes like this:

Swirl remover (removes swirls, but it`s abrasive, removes gloss)

Polish (mild abrasive, restores gloss)

wax (no abrasive - protects finish)

AIO is one of the polishes, so you were correct in your steps. You did SMR (swirl remover) AIO (polish) SG (wax/sealant)

My favorite combo goes like this:

3M fine cut with PC and cutting pad (cutting pad + fine cut = abrasive swirl remover)

AIO with PC and polishing pad (AIO + mild, smooth polishing pad = super shiny)

Gliptone platinium with PC and waxing pad (wax + waxing pad = perfect shiny happy protected finish)

So yeah. You`re fine. You`re doing it right...

Sweet, so I was doing it right all along. Thanks a bunch :xyxthumbs