PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to get a new car without scratches/marring,etc...

Pages : [1] 2 3

BigAl3
03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
it seems like alot of people that buy new cars (or at least the ones i read about on forums) always get new cars with scratches, marring, etc... is there any way to avoid it? or is it going to happen regardless as soon as it hits the lot (seems like most dealerships have no clue on car care)? let`s here your opinions, i say...

MongooseGA
03-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Sure it`s possible. The car comes in a plastic wrapper almost to keep most of the crap off of it during shipment (raildust, salt, etc...)

Whne these are taken on, there`s a difference between the parts that were covered and those that weren`t. Then the dealer washes it. That`s probably where your brand new car marring comes from.

To avoid, tell them you wanna see them pull the plastic off of it. Then tell them not to touch the paint.

Bill D
03-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Absolutely. My car and those of many Autopians is proof. Adding defects starts with clear communication with the dealer before agreeing on delivery. You must make it extremely clear to the dealer you will NOT accept "prepping" :rolleyes: :lol: of any kind on your new car. Demand this be present on every document related to your order: no excuse that way if they claim "it wasn`t in the paper work". If you`re very serious, warn them you will be fully prepared to walk if this is not honored.

Ideally, you should take the care home with the white Rapgard intact. (You can read here how to remove it.) You can then properly prep the car at your pace and to your standards;not to mention the great thrill and joy you will experience :bounce :D :D

Scottwax
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Bill is right, make sure it is in the paperwork and the sales manager signs it.

Don`t allow them to put their dealer emblem on your car either unless they are willing to send you money every month for advertising for them.

Bill D
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
:2thumbs: Scott! It truly puzzles me why so many allow their vehicles to be free mobile advertisements for car dealers. :nixweiss

koko_b_ware
03-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

:2thumbs: Scott! It truly puzzles me why so many allow their vehicles to be free mobile advertisements for car dealers. :nixweiss

I took their stickers off my truck the day I drove it off the lot.

Also, the only way you will get a new car with perfect paint is if you factory order it, and specify that they don`t touch it.

Pretty much all lot cars will be scratched and marred. On my truck, I had to do a 2 step polish on it the day I brought it home from the lot. It was brand new, but they marred the $hit out of it when they washed it.

BigAl3
03-17-2005, 01:57 AM
one day is was getting an oil change at the dealership and while i was waiting, i looked around the lot (sunny day). i couldn`t believe all (most) of the cars that were very scratched/marred, it was sickening! especially.... the dark colored ones (black/blue), it looked like someone washed the car with a steel sos pad. :rolleyes:

imported_Mighty HD
03-17-2005, 09:23 AM
They can get scrached from those "detail" guys who come clean the cars on the lots.

You see them usually early in the morning, they take a smal pressure washer and blast the cars off,then wipe them down with a old chamios. I can only imagine how much dirt is in that chamios.......

EBPcivicsi
03-17-2005, 09:26 AM
When I bought my car in early 00 I requested that no one touch it and that I be present when it was unloaded from the transporter. I removed all plastic and even installed the front lip spoiler.

In order to do this I had to fill out a survey saying that the car was clean when I received it, no problem.

Expect the sales manager to think you are nuts.

ogie_s
03-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I saw a couple of people at a local dealership once cleaning snow off a car`s hood w/ a snow shovel:eek:

Of course, maybe it was a microfiber snow shovel:p

Unfortunately, that seems to be how most cars that stay on a dealer`s lot are treated - not necessarily that extremely callous - but poorly nonetheless. I agree w/ everyone else here - the only way to get as factory-perfect a car as possible is to get a car on order and prep it yourself as soon as it arrives so noone else gets a chance to lay their mitts on it. Be prepared for the salespeople to give you the run-around though.

blackntan
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

When I bought my car in early 00 I requested that no one touch it and that I be present when it was unloaded from the transporter. I removed all plastic and even installed the front lip spoiler.

In order to do this I had to fill out a survey saying that the car was clean when I received it, no problem.

Expect the sales manager to think you are nuts.

I did the same with the 05 MINI Cooper S...

And yes, they thought I was nuts too...

The only thing they did was install the stripes and foglights, but that was unavoidable.

However, I didn`t even let them wash the excess soap off from when they installed the stripes, I did that myself too..

The looks I got were hilarious...

togwt
03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Good advice, Just C/P this and the talk of new cars is giving me the `want a new car itch`.

RapGard (Plastic Transit Film):

Many manufacturers are using this white plastic covering in place of synthetic or wax based shipping coatings (Cosmoline) The plastic becomes brittle with age (90 to 180 days) and becomes difficult to remove as it "shreds" while being pulled off, additionally there is excess adhesive residue left on the surface.

Spray or wipe Isopropyl Alcohol on to the Rap Guard or Plastic Film and the painted surfaces. Allow it to remain on the surface for 3 to 5 minutes. Saturate a soft clean towel with Isopropyl Alcohol and gently wipe away the RapGard / Plastic Transit Film pieces and their adhesive. Wash vehicle with a car wash concentrate diluted 1 oz. per gallon of water any remove any residue with detailers clay.

When I ordered the Jag I also requested that they notify me when the transporter arrives and that NO dealer prep would be undertaken by them. I removed all of the RapGuard at the dealership before driving it home (we did the same thing with the Lexus)

Better to sustain strange looks than have strange marks on your new cars paint. Good luck with your new vehicle,,,enjoy

JonM

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-17-2005, 10:35 AM
If you get a chance, stop by your local Chevrolet dealer when they have just taken in a delivery of new Corvettes. Look closely at the vettes that still have the shipping coating on the painted surface. Take special note to read the removal instructions that are printed on the coating. Pay particular attention to the printed warnings that also appear on the coating and you will begin to get a much better understanding of whether or not it is possible to get a new car without scratches/marring,etc.

Michaelelts
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I had a recent experience that bears repeating. I bought a new acura TL day after thanksgiving 04 they prepped it and did a surpisingly good job all it needed was a clay and aio when i got it home. Unfortunatly I had an accident and totaled the car. I liked it eonough I bought the same car and color( black) from the dealership. Since they did such a good job of not marring the paint the last time I did not say anything. HOWEVER the usual prep guy did not show up that day and so as to not delay me they had the lot monkey prep my car. What a horror swirls everywhere. I did take delivery and got 99% of the swirls off with # 2 followed by smr and aio. The one remaining area is going to take a rotary which their prep guy who was good will do. Bottom line I should have specified that if the guy who prepped it was not availible to delay the transaction or let me do the prep.

SK2003TypeS
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Don`t allow them to put their dealer emblem on your car either unless they are willing to send you money every month for advertising for them.

That would have to be a big check.:D

Like all the others said, put it in the paperwork. Also, if you ever have to take it back to the dealer for service, etc. Make sure you have them write it in there as well. It doesn`t hurt to make a few signs that say "DO NOT WASH THIS CAR" in English and Spanish (or whatever other language).

btw: I didn`t do the paperwork thingy...I just got lucky:o