PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripes and PC questions

ogie_s
03-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I just got my Propel Pads and assuming that my order of Menz arrives in time and the weather cooperates I`m going to have my first go with using my PC this weekend.

One of my friend`s has volunteered his Hyundai Elantra as a test subject but we just noticed something. It has these small gold stick-on pinstripes running from nose to tail just below the window level that it came with from the factory - part of some "appearance package" option. (Sorry but I didn`t get a chance to take pictures to post here.)

I`m worried that trying to polish these stripes with a PC will abrade them off since they`re stuck on top of the clear coat rather than underneath.

We`re considering just not worrying about it and remove the stripes altogether since they`re not that cool-looking anyway but that`s kind of a last resort.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Can I machine polish these without worry or do I whip out the old Mk.1 elbow? If we do remove them, any tips on removing the stripes and any adhesive residue? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

togwt
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Cover them with Painter`s Masking Tape and then buff `close` to its edge

or

Removing Decals:

To remove clued on decals or pin striping from a paint surface, use a hair dryer (not a heat gun) that will soften the glue behind the decal or pin striping, place a length of dental floss in a loop behind the decal, after prying an edge loose and while still applying heat gently pull the dental floss. Use a solvent cleaner to remove any glue residue and a mild abrasive polish afterwards to remove the `ghost outline` finish with a wax or sealant

JonM

ogie_s
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info, Jon! I guess we`ll go the tape route first and see how it goes.

kidzey
03-18-2005, 04:03 AM
"To remove clued on decals or pin striping from a paint surface, use a hair dryer (not a heat gun) that will soften the glue behind the decal or pin striping, place a length of dental floss in a loop behind the decal, after prying an edge loose and while still applying heat gently pull the dental floss. Use a solvent cleaner to remove any glue residue and a mild abrasive polish afterwards to remove the `ghost outline` finish with a wax or sealant"

will this technique work for emblems also?

thanks

EnduroExpertFSR
03-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by kidzey

"To remove clued on decals or pin striping from a paint surface, use a hair dryer (not a heat gun) that will soften the glue behind the decal or pin striping, place a length of dental floss in a loop behind the decal, after prying an edge loose and while still applying heat gently pull the dental floss. Use a solvent cleaner to remove any glue residue and a mild abrasive polish afterwards to remove the `ghost outline` finish with a wax or sealant"

will this technique work for emblems also?

thanks

thats what the floss is really for to get behind emblems

for just flat stickers u really have nothing to get the floss under i find using a credit card for stickers or a finger nail works best for me

EnduroExpertFSR
03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
i have a honda accord and ive got the pinstripe i go over it with a PC just fine i just move faster and with less pressure on it so it doesnt build up any heat

nailzer
03-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Hmm I have about 20 hours in removing swirl marks and never gave the pin stripes a second thought, but they still look fine.