PDA

View Full Version : togwt

bigsled
03-16-2005, 02:48 PM
thanks for responding all the time, i`m still not quite sure what to do, i need to get rid of swirls first ( #83), then everyone talks about # 80 after( for high shine) . but you`re saying polys like 4 star upp dont bond well after applying glazes/polishes . a poly sealant is to be used as the polish and the lsp???

Bill D
03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
A sealant is a LSP. UPP ought to be the last product you`re going to put on the paint unless you wish to top that with a carauba wax. IIRC, UPP is a pure sealant with no polishing/cleaning abilities.

Spilchy
03-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Although I`m not TOGWT (nobody can respond quite like him :p ......:up ) but I`ll give it a try.

I believe he is saying that sealants don`t bond as well to glazes. It all depends which sealants you`re talking about.

I have used VM and EXP and FTG and FMG with wondetful results. I don`t know if there is a durability factor with the glaze underneath.

But back to your question - NO, sealants are not to be used as a polish / LSP. First use your #83 or #80 and follow with UPP.

Or you can do #83 with a cutting pad (if the surface is bad enough), #80 with a polish pad and follow up with UPP by hand or with a finishing pad.

Make sure you allow the #83 and #80 to break down and do their diminishing abrasive job. This will help to reduce any micro marring as a result of not working the polish enough or going too far and polishing the panel until completely dry.

But feel free to experiment and use a glaze on a couple panels before you apply your sealant. I really like VM.

Hope this helps.

bigsled
03-16-2005, 03:58 PM
so you think 4 star upp will bond over # 80 even though 80 has oils in it ?? i thought i could use any sealant after 80 ? but according to togwt they may not bond over 80... thanks for responding..todd i want to use a nice polish after removing swirls but before upp and thought i would be able to go with 80..

Accumulator
03-16-2005, 04:32 PM
bigsled- Hope you and TOGWT doesn`t mind a few of us responding to this...

Gotta say that I haven`t tried UPP over #80, but I wouldn`t get *too* caught up in #80 being called "speed glaze". Think of the "glaze" part of the name as meaning it`s OK to use on fresh paint. Anything the #80 leaves behind that might cause bonding trouble can be easily cleaned off with something like an alcohol/water mix or AIO. The #80`s abrasives will still do a good job of removing the #83`s micromarring.

togwt
03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
bigsled- Hope you and TOGWT doesn`t mind a few of us responding to this...

Absolutly not we`re all here to help each other and learn (that inc me). Thanks for `stepping in`.

TortoiseAWD
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
bigsled,

If you`d like to address questions to a specific Autopia member, please use the Private Message (PM) facility.

Thanks,

Tort

(moderator)

togwt
03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Bigsled- Asking your question (s) on the appropriate forum has many advantages- as opposed to me just stating my opinion / observations on a specific subject, because no matter what that opinion is, there is often an opposing and often equally valid response (always a good thing to seek) and others may learn from the various answers

Plus weâ€â„¢ve â€Ëœgotta keep in good with the Moderators :cool:

JonM

Bill D
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Bigsled- Asking your question (s) on the appropriate forum has many advantages- as opposed to me just stating my opinion / observations on a specific subject, because no matter what that opinion is, there is often an opposing and often equally valid response (always a good thing to seek) and others may learn from the various answers

Plus weâ€â„¢ve â€Ëœgotta keep in good with the Moderators :cool:

JonM

Yes, that`s why we request questions asked publicly to not be addressed to any one specific member. If one wants the opinion and feedback from that specific member,please use the PM system. Asking a generic question such as, "Are there any problems with polymer sealants bonding to glazes or polishes?" is good for a public forum to get more than one point of view.