PDA

View Full Version : applying carnauba over poly

Pages : [1] 2

bigsled
03-16-2005, 07:48 AM
if you apply carnauba over poly can you get the same depth and richness if you applied carnauba alone ??? i was thinking of # 26 ( #16 replacement) or upp or ex over # 80 .. thank you

a.k.a. Patrick
03-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I dont use Carnuabas, but can tell you from experience, UPP over 80 is amazing.....

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-16-2005, 08:38 AM
I usually apply carnauba over polymer in order to add another layer of protection, while enhancing the depth of gloss on black and other dark paint colors.

bigsled
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
btw my car is black...

togwt
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Polymer Sealant - (provides durable protection)-A non-organic based wax formulated from polymer paints used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier. They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine. This type of product is a compromise as it does provide durability but lacks the properties of a Carnauba wax lacking both colour and depth, and because of a polymer`s inherent molecular structure it cannot mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax

Carnauba Wax - (provides a sacrificial but renewable protection)-A natural wax repellent, it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird droppings, it also provides Colour, Depth and Clarity that is without equal.

FWIW - I think that using a Carnauba wax over a polymer gives you the best of both worlds, the durable protection and bright shine of a polymer and the gloss/depth etc of a Carnauba wax.

Note: Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer, conversely if a polymer is applied on top of a Carnauba wax the cross-linking / bonding may be compromised. Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with some oil in it will abort the cross linking or bonding process of a polymer, just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability may be effected.

JonM

NPG
03-16-2005, 09:05 PM
The solvents used in the Carnauba wax won`t affect the Polymer Sealant durability? I.E. Klasse SG

wannafbody
03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
for a topper S100 or Poorboys Natty`s are pretty popular

togwt
03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Quote: The solvents used in the Carnauba wax won`t affect the Polymer Sealant durability? I.E. Klasse SG

Providing each subsequent applications carrying agent (solvent, oils silicones or emulsion) are not so concentrated that they degrade or remove what has been previously applied.

The carrier system (solvents) allows the product to fill and level the paint film surface to produce a flat surface (this flat level surface is more pronounced with polymers due to their molecular alignment characteristics). This level surface optimises the paint film surface`s desired optical properties (i.e. surface reflectance, clarity, gloss, and depth of shine)

Also be aware that the both the product and the foam pad may be non-abrasive, but application pressure if not kept to an absolute minimum and using use a very light and even pressure, may re-introduce surface marring and/or removal of the previously applied product.

JonM

Scottwax
03-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

I usually apply carnauba over polymer in order to add another layer of protection, while enhancing the depth of gloss on black and other dark paint colors.

Same here, I like the extra richness a carnauba gives on dark paint. On light colors, the clear sealant look is very pleasing.

Accumulator
03-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by NPG

The solvents used in the Carnauba wax won`t affect the Polymer Sealant durability? I.E. Klasse SG

Never caused any trouble for me. Once the SG sets up it`s pretty tough, certainly tough enough to stand up to the solvents in carnaubas.

andysperformanc
03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
does this mean i can apply a carnauba over FMJ? Btw, car is black.

lbls1
03-17-2005, 10:59 PM
I have found that Carnauba will reach its best potential if its mated as close to the paint surface as possible. Not that you can`t top a polymer with a carnauba and get good results, but IMO the best results I`ve seen with a carnauba were prepared with a fresh coat or two of a quality carnauba applied on well prepped paint surfaces.

pat00641
03-18-2005, 02:14 AM
i`ve done meg`s NXT with #26 on top and it came out really well

tomorrow i will do NXT topped with s100

I will try to post pics. my car is black too and the 26 added some depth on top of the NXT and the extra carnauba layer has added some durability

bigsled
03-18-2005, 08:02 AM
well i wanted the best of both worlds, carnauba and poly sealant, i see we are speaking of klasse acrylic, how do you know the solvent content ? do i assume that if i use any of the better quality products it will be fine ? i was thinking of nattys or 26 over ex or ex-p.. i know ex has some carnauba in it already but, i thought i could get the benifits of a sealant with it and then just put carnauba over that once a month.. anybody comment on nattys or 26 over ex? i would prefer 26 because i want to use a liquid carnauba instead..thanks todd

togwt
03-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Quote: I have found that Carnauba will reach its best potential if its mated as close to the paint surface as possible. Not that you can`t top a polymer with a carnauba and get good results, but IMO the best results I`ve seen with a carnauba were prepared with a fresh coat or two of a quality carnauba applied on well prepped paint surfaces. lbls1

Interesting observation /experience :cool: as Carnauba and polymers adhere to a surface very differently, Carnauba wax, polymer sealants and synthetic waxes initially adhere by surface tension; the balance of the adherence process is that it works its way via the carrier system (solvent and / or oils) into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the paint film surface thereby creating an anchor. Polymer sealants initially adhere by surface tension and then after a cross-linking period (the solvents in the carrier system vaporize (outgas) after which the polymers form a molecular bond to the paint. Although some polymers will occlude (cloud) which may explain the differences.

Iâ€â„¢ve usually obtained what IMO are the best results with a Carnauba applied over a cross-linked polymer sealant, which goes to prove that different eyes â€Ëœseeâ€â„¢ a different look (beauty is in the â€Ëœguyâ€â„¢ of the beholder:) )

JonM