PDA

View Full Version : NXT & Blackfire

Pages : [1] 2 3

termigator
03-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Has anybody tried topping NXT with Blackfire. I know Blackfire will not adhere to carnauba, but since NXT is considered a sealant, it shouldn`t have any problem. I`m curious because I`m trying to use up my NXT due to my lack of confidence in it`s durability, although I do like the look it gives. Please do not beat the dead horse by starting another NXT war. I am strictly interested in opinions on topping NXT with a more durable protectant like Blackfire.

Mochamanz1
03-15-2005, 11:59 PM
I actually think you should consider topping BF with NXT for the following reason, I did a couple coats of BF on my driver a couple months ago and was very suprised when a couple days later it rained and the BF beaded but when I drove down the freeway, (somewhat above the speed limit), the beads just sat there like they were stuck to the BF. Afterwards, the shine reapeared (mostly) upon drying, but I didnt like the look..... before it dried. As always, this is just MHO. Maybe I did something wrong....

pat00641
03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
But doesn`t NXT have a cleaner in it? Won`t it take off the BF?

SergC
03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by pat00641

But doesn`t NXT have a cleaner in it? Won`t it take off the BF?

It will ...I`d go with BF over NXT.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Pat, hes topping NXT with BF. The cleaners would have evaporated by now....

Good 2 c u serg!

SergC
03-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Good to see you,Patrick;)

Mochamanz1
03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I am sorry, I did not know that NXT had cleaners in it. I have applied it over SG and I did not notice that the SG had been removed..... I will have to check this out. Thank you for the clarification.

Update: I went to the Meg`s site and sure enough, there is talk of swirl remover.... I stand corrected ;)

If it removes swirls, then there are cleaners in it, so, how can it be layered as indicated in some posts? This begs the question: is NXT comparable to AIO? If so, then all the posts about NXT`s low durability is making an unfair comparison to other sealants, since AIO is known to be more cleaner than protectant... Shouldnt NXT be put in this category? Now I am thoroughly confused concerning NXT..... I still think it layers.....without removing the previous application.... anybody else apply NXT over other products with a layering effect??:confused: :confused: :confused:

jfelbab
03-16-2005, 06:58 PM
I regularly apply NXT over #81 and the appearance is noticeably wetter. NXT does indeed have slight cleaners but not enough to remove the #81 polish.

I apply 2 coats of NXT 24 hours apart and the second coat does look better than a single coat. That said NXT does not layer like Z. It layers more like a carnauba. 2-3 coats max.

I also think the swirl removal you see is actually due to filling and not removing. I don`t see any abrasive properties in NXT. Slight cleaners to aid in bonding but not abrasives of the swirl removal type.

05Sleeper
03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
What about putting NXT over UPP? Or they other way UPP on top of NXT... Would that be feasable? Would it work?

Scottwax
03-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by mochamanz

Update: I went to the Meg`s site and sure enough, there is talk of swirl remover.... I stand corrected ;)

Any swirl removal ability is a function of the pad you use and not the product. If you use a polishing pad with NXT, you can remove very light defects.

NXT does not need to be layered, but two thin coats are best to ensure complete coverage. Maybe use a polishing pad for the first coat and a finishing pad for the second coat 24 hours later.

I`ve only topped NXT with carnaubas except one time with Wolfgang. All worked great.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-16-2005, 08:21 PM
If using NXT and UPP, I would definetly use the UPP over the NXT...My personal opinion is UPP is best, when left alone.....

05Sleeper
03-16-2005, 09:41 PM
What about a Glaze? Can that be used before NXT?

Corey Bit Spank
03-16-2005, 09:46 PM
That`s a major fallacy on this board: the assumption that two synthetic coatings will cross link. Truth is, the terms "synthetic" or "polymer" are so vague that it opens the door to many many many different types, and not all types cross-link the same.

I would have to assume that Blackfire and NXT share very little, if anything at all, besides a very very general basic formulation. Given that assumption, it`s hard to believe that there could be a huge compatability between the two. This is not to say that applying one over the other makes the one on top disappear. It`s there, but how durable? Is it any more durable than putting blackfire or NXT over a carnauba? Over regular, clean, polished paint?

This is also why I don`t understand people who say "AIO leaves a good acrylic for the [blank] to bond to." It`s probably has more to do with AIO`s cleaning ability than the acrylic, since it`s a stretch to say that every synthetic sealant can buddy buddy to an acylic, or to every other synthetic on the market.

There is no dry-detailing method to this. You either put both onto the car and see how it holds up, and come back and say it does and it becomes the next thing to do, or it doesn`t work and you`re left with a surface that`s no more protected than it is now after a few weeks.

05Sleeper
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
No answers? I am thinking of polishing my friends red SRT-4, then AIO and NXT. (maybe a UPP topper) Sound ok?

Corey Bit Spank
03-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Are you polishing at all before the AIO?

I`ve had good success with NXT topped with #16 on red. Really good looking.