PDA

View Full Version : one for the masters

Dylansdad
03-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Ok, I have run into a problem with my most recent purchase of a sweet 1993 Accord SE, Leather, alloys, 55k miles, all service records, 1 owner, but inside and outside TOTALLY neglected. A hurricane sent a tree into the windshield, dented the hood, and the owner had it all fixed and then the whole car was repainted.(about 3 years ago) The outside was as rough as sandpaper. I am not new to the detailing world, I have been using my PC, a cutting pad, a wool(sheepskin?) pad, polishing pad, Race Glaze Leveling compound, Polishing compound, etc. Get the picture?? I have managed to get a little shine, but little to no depth...all my pads get really, really black..what kind of paint did they put on this stupid car !@!!

I am beginning to think all I can possibly do is to try (for my first time)is to wet sand the entire car and then start over. What do all of you think I am dealing with and I am assuming there is no clear coat due to the pads all continually being black......sorry for the long post but I need HELP !! Any suggestions would be appreciated !! :nixweiss :nixweiss

MongooseGA
03-15-2005, 07:00 PM
If the car is black, then yeah, that`s color coat coming off onto the pads. Like you said, that means it has no clear.

How`s the texture of the paint? I know that when we bought my 1995 SC400, I noticed a different texture on the paint from when the only previous owner had repainted part of the door. This texture is like extreme organe peel so it`s difficult to get any kind of reflection out of.

Without seeing it, the best thing I could say is to wet sand it. Just be careful with it. I`ve never read about anyone`s stories or techniques of sanding a single stage paint job.

Dylansdad
03-15-2005, 07:04 PM
I forgot to mention that the car is a gold color.....not black, even though I have thought about a stick of dynamite....

Dylansdad
03-15-2005, 09:06 PM
C`mon guys, I need some real advice here.......

travisdecpn
03-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Pics would be extremely helpful.

JeffM
03-15-2005, 09:50 PM
If its as rough as sandpaper , i would say it was painted with a spray can.

A pro wont leave a finish like that.

Or perhaps it really needs a good claying....

Pics please.

Accumulator
03-16-2005, 11:54 AM
DylansDad-Tough to say without seeing it first hand...

I guess I`d use a full-on approach. All that "pad turning black" from a gold colored car :eek: Sounds like there`s a lot of contamination on the paint.

I`d start with a decontamination system from FinishKare or AutoInt. Clay while the acidic step is dwelling. Re-evaluate the paint after that.

Try claying some more but don`t keep at it unless you still get contamination on the clay. *Do* keep at it if you do, until you get the paint very clean.

Then do the PC work. If working with aggressive products and trying to do major correction, use 4" pads (the PC won`t bog as much as will be more aggressive).

I`d be careful/leery about wetsanding a repaint of unknown (but questionable) quality. And I`d be realistic about how nice it`s ever gonna be.