PDA

View Full Version : What do you do the day after the Detail?

asianrage
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
So last week, I`ve spent 5 hour each washing both my car and my fiance`s car. It`s so shiny and slick and clean, and I want to maintain it. So what can I do to keep it clean everyday? I got the California Duster combo and I`m thinking that it might end up creating swirls. I tried to use Meguiar`s Mist and Clean bottle with a clean Microfiber towel to wipe off the dusts and it seems to also create some swirls.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

imported_agentf1
03-15-2005, 01:04 PM
After owning a black car I will only dust with a california duster or QD if I have not driven the car. Once it is driven I wash it with a bucket, soap and water when it gets dirty. I even do this with my silver car even thought you don`t see it I know it happens from my black cars. I think everybody should own black once, it teaches you how to take care of paint.

asianrage
03-15-2005, 01:08 PM
My car is black. So you would recommend dusting it after everyday of driving?

MS22
03-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Poorboys S&W is an easy way to remove dust and road grime for cars that are not soiled too badly. Follow up with some Crystal Mist or your favorite QD and you are good to go.

Accumulator
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
I still treat my silver vehicles the way I *had* to treat my black (single stage) ones. Once it`s detailed, I don`t touch it until the next wash. If it gets dusty/whatever, I just live with it or give it a full wash. No way am I gonna risk marring, it`s hard enough to wash a car "normally" without inflicting some damage.

raymond_ho2002
03-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by asianrage

My car is black. So you would recommend dusting it after everyday of driving?

I wouldn`t. I tried doing that for a bit and I saw a noticeable build-up of swirls and marring on my black car. I would only feel comfortable dusting if I drove very short distances, and even then it`s usually not worth it because the dirtiness is practically unnoticeable. After a day of driving, forget it. I feel safer waiting for the coming weekend to wash it.

I`ve gotten comfortable enough using QEW with one bucket to be able to wash and dry within 20 minutes (not including wheels). I think that`s much safer than dusting/qding.

SK2003TypeS
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Check out this article on Quick Detailing (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=22)

There isn`t any miracle product or tool out there that will allow you to QD your car without the chance of scratching or swirling the paint. What it will come down to is your technique, which is learned in time (I`m still learning it).

After a fresh detail, I`ll try to keep up with my own derivative of David`s QD process. If it`s too dirty to QD, I`ll just wait it out until the next wash.

Asianrage, if you`re the one with the Black TL with the window visors on the Acura forums, you`re doing it fine.:xyxthumbs

imported_dpeezy415
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
There was an insane amount of pollen around the last two days, what with spring coming around and the winds kicking up, so my car was noticeably dusty. This morning I decided to do a quick detail with S&W and a microfiber.

I wouldn`t be 100% confident that I didn`t induce some kind of marring as the towel did "grab" on really dusty areas. I used clean parts of the towel folded into fourths for an initial wipe, and then lightly buffed (with no pressure) to dry, using a clean section of the towel. I may have not been liberal enough with my spraying, which would be a cause for possible marring.

In the future, I`ll be more LIBERAL with my QD/spray and use multiple MFs...

I will also not use this technique on even moderately soiled vehicles, save that for a QEW wash or reg. wash.

Needless to say the paint was looking GREAT!!!

imported_dpeezy415
03-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the link SK2003TypeS...

I read this article before and it seems to have slipped my mind. Needless to say it contains some great info!!!

I wonder if you could add some QEW to that water bucket...

I`ll have to try it!!!

asianrage
03-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Check out this article on Quick Detailing (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=22)

There isn`t any miracle product or tool out there that will allow you to QD your car without the chance of scratching or swirling the paint. What it will come down to is your technique, which is learned in time (I`m still learning it).

After a fresh detail, I`ll try to keep up with my own derivative of David`s QD process. If it`s too dirty to QD, I`ll just wait it out until the next wash.

Asianrage, if you`re the one with the Black TL with the window visors on the Acura forums, you`re doing it fine.:xyxthumbs

Remember, it`s a TL-S :xyxthumbs :doh

That is my car and I recognize you from the forum as well. :wavey Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

The link is awesome. Better Car Care seems to have alot of helpful articles. Must check it out some more.

SK2003TypeS
03-15-2005, 03:02 PM
You`re welcome. Glad to see a post actually helps someone out once in a while :) Once in a while, I find it helpful to read old articles. Sometimes you forget little things, or why you do them.

If you`re willing to add QEW to the bucket, you`re pretty much going to do a QEW wash then...no ? I love to add a few shots of QD to my QEW mix these days.

Nice sig. :cool:

SK2003TypeS
03-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by asianrage

Remember, it`s a TL-S :xyxthumbs :doh

That is my car and I recognize you from the forum as well. :wavey Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.

The link is awesome. Better Car Care seems to have alot of helpful articles. Must check it out some more.

OMG...please forgive me :o

I am sorry that I didn`t acknowledge the Type S

I like your wolfgang pics too :cool: