PDA

View Full Version : Mold & Mildew Removal

joburnet
03-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I have a customer with a van that he recently purchased used and he has a severe mold and mildew problem. He said that when he purchased it the floor matts were still wet and it developed a mildew smell and that was three months ago.

I plan on shampooing the carpets and floor matts and using an APC and Folex for chemicals. What I`m looking for are chemicals that will kill mold and mildew and I`m not sure if the ones I have will. I also have meguiars odor remover. Any suggestions on how to remove this smell?

I was thinking of purchasing this machine and I think it would do it.

http://detailking.goemerchant1.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=184157&Cartid=22841110902923&Merchant=detailking&ExpandedDepts=

EBPcivicsi
03-15-2005, 12:00 PM
I would recommend removing the carpet and pad and haging it to dry. Any water that is trapped between the pad and the body of the car will only mold again.

Not sure about the machine, but I have heard that there are enzymes available that will kill the bacteria that casue mold and mildew. I have no personal experience with them.

togwt
03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Mildew / Mould:

Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation, Remove the seats and thoroughly clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner and a disinfectant. Then let it air dry, ensuring that it is completely dry.

The carpet backing will absorb the most, spray the affected areas with a disinfectant (both the carpet backing and the carpet) clean the carpet using steam extractors upholstery attachments, and then re-install the seats, to eliminate the bacteria that create mildew:

Methodology

â€Â¢Use a medium soft brush and a 4:1 solution distilled water / Ammonia and then rinse with cool clean water

â€Â¢For tough stains use a mixture of one (1 tspn) teaspoon Ammonia / quarter (0.25) cup Hydrogen Peroxide / three (0.75) cup distilled water and then rinse with cool clean water

â€Â¢Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

â€Â¢Change the cabin air filter (if fitted)

â€Â¢Finally use an air sanitizer/freshener (Lysol Neutra Air®) that quickly removes odours from the air.

Eliminate the musty smell and corrosion with Eastmanâ€â„¢s Zone Dry an odour-neutralizing mineral, which absorbs 100% of its weight in moisture, with a coloured tab to let you know when it needs replacement? This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. Or lightly spray with an air neutralising disinfectant (Lysol Neutra Air®) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell

JonM

joburnet
03-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info, definatly gonna print this one out and keep it around. Did you get this from the autopia guide or somewhere else? Thanks.

Originally posted by TOGWT

Mildew / Mould:

Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation, Remove the seats and thoroughly clean the carpet with a carpet cleaner and a disinfectant. Then let it air dry, ensuring that it is completely dry.

The carpet backing will absorb the most, spray the affected areas with a disinfectant (both the carpet backing and the carpet) clean the carpet using steam extractors upholstery attachments, and then re-install the seats, to eliminate the bacteria that create mildew:

Methodology

â€Â¢Use a medium soft brush and a 4:1 solution distilled water / Ammonia and then rinse with cool clean water

â€Â¢For tough stains use a mixture of one (1 tspn) teaspoon Ammonia / quarter (0.25) cup Hydrogen Peroxide / three (0.75) cup distilled water and then rinse with cool clean water

â€Â¢Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)

â€Â¢Change the cabin air filter (if fitted)

â€Â¢Finally use an air sanitizer/freshener (Lysol Neutra Air®) that quickly removes odours from the air.

Eliminate the musty smell and corrosion with Eastmanâ€â„¢s Zone Dry an odour-neutralizing mineral, which absorbs 100% of its weight in moisture, with a coloured tab to let you know when it needs replacement? This type of product absorbs odours, eliminates stale musty air, and will reduce any noxious oil or gasoline fumes. Or lightly spray with an air neutralising disinfectant (Lysol Neutra Air®) that is non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without a cover up scent or an offensive perfume smell

JonM

joburnet
03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Also, will using Hydrogen Peroxide on carpets cause a color change? I know some people use it to lighten their hair so I`m kind of reluctant to use it. Thanks.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by joburnet

I have a customer with a van that he recently purchased used and he has a severe mold and mildew problem.

Any suggestions on how to remove this smell?

[/url]

An alternative would be to remove the affected padding and carpet and replace with new.