PDA

View Full Version : Noob Plan of Attack: Black Jetta

Pages : [1] 2

Genesis
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Hello All!

I am new to the forums in terms of posting, however, I have been doing a lot of reading the past few weeks. Just wanted to give a big thanks for having such a slew of great information.

I am hoping someone could critique the below `plan of attack` on cleaning my wife`s black jetta. Soon, I am hoping to purchase a new black car for myself, so I would probably deploy the below plan on it as well. If someone notices me using wrong terminology or if I am missing a step, please let me know!

Also, if someone has any ideas as to adding additional steps to my plan, I am all ears! :)

Washing/Drying Materials:

Mitts - Wallmart Wool wash mitt or ExcelDetail Mitts

Drying â€â€œ WW MF Towel(s) from PakShak

Sealant/Wax Application/Removal - Ultra MF Towels from PakShak

Procedure:

1st Step: Wash â€â€œ Duragloss Car Wash Shampoo (Butchers Foam Gun + Accumulator`s 2 Bucket Method)

2nd Step: Clay â€â€œ Clay Magic

3rd Step: Wash â€â€œ Duragloss Car Wash Shampoo (Butchers Foam Gun + 2 Bucket Method)

4th Step: Wax â€â€œ Klasse AIO

5th Step: Sealant â€â€œ Z2 Pro (with ZFX for first coat; without ZFX for additional coats, if necessary)

SK2003TypeS
03-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Looks like you did your homework. :D I`d go with ExcelDetail mitts if I had the choice. PakShak WW and MFs are awesome.

If you have any swirls, scratches, etc. on the paint, they should be removed prior to the Klasse AIO.

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

togwt
03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
:welcome to Autopia Genesis

It`s great to read that you`ve done your `homework` your plan looks fine (if you can post pics...`cos we love to see photos of detailed vehicles)

JonM

Genesis
03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome and post!!

Quick question about ExcelDetail mitts: In terms of cleaning and minimizing marring, is there a difference between the 3 mitts ExcelDetails offers? (they are of different weight....ranging from 3oz to 6oz, I believe)

One final thing, should I finish off with this final step? Would I see ANY additional visual benefits (or any protective benefits? Such as sealing things in a bit more?)

6th Step: P21S Carnauba Wax

If anyone has something they would like to add, please feel free! I am eager to learn! :)

SK2003TypeS
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I`d go with the thicker one mitt. It`ll hold more water/shampoo, which will help reduce the chance of marring, swirls, scratches,etc. A product can only help you so far, it`s the technique and process that is really the key.

The 6th Step "topper" question is one that should be answered by each person. Some see a difference, some do not. The idea of the topper is to add some depth, warmth, wetness to the paint. Keep in mind, if you do add P21S, you`ll have to remove it if you want to apply Z2 Pro again.

Maybe just try it on half of the hood to see if you can see a difference.

Hope this helps.

Genesis
03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info!

Just got my Butcher`s Foam Gun yesterday! Seems pretty sturdy and well-constructed. It came in many pieces....reminded me of back in the day when I had to put G.I.Joe toys together! :)

SK2003TypeS
03-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Bravo for giving Accumulator`s washing technique a go.

Good Luck !

Genesis
03-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

Looks like you did your homework. :D I`d go with ExcelDetail mitts if I had the choice. PakShak WW and MFs are awesome.

If you have any swirls, scratches, etc. on the paint, they should be removed prior to the Klasse AIO.

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

Any recommendations on what might be the best swirl/scratch removers for black cars? If severity is important in which product you advice, swirls/scratches are at a minimum right now (2005 jetta model).

stiege
03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
That Jetta`s going to have wicked hard paint, so you may find that you`ll have to go over it a couple of times with something like #80 or FPII

I gave up on my wife`s Passat having only diminished, not removed the swirls before using Klasse twins then #16. Looks fantastic, but the swirls are still there.

As soon as the weather warms up, I`ll go with #83, #80, FPII.

Jason

Genesis
03-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by stiege

That Jetta`s going to have wicked hard paint, so you may find that you`ll have to go over it a couple of times with something like #80 or FPII

I gave up on my wife`s Passat having only diminished, not removed the swirls before using Klasse twins then #16. Looks fantastic, but the swirls are still there.

As soon as the weather warms up, I`ll go with #83, #80, FPII.

Jason

Hello Jason:

Should I use Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze to get the swirls out after Step 3 and before Step 4? Should I just use it on the areas that contain swirls/scratches?

Additionally, you refer to #83, #80, and FPII. Is that what you would use JUST for scratch/swirl removal? For instance, if you were in my situation with the above plan, would you do all of that inbetween Steps 3 and 4? Just curious and thanks again!

Spilchy
03-16-2005, 03:20 PM
As far as Accumulator`s method, although awesome, it does not need to be used for your wash before your detail.

Such an involved process should be used AFTER the detail for subsequent washes to maintain that killer finish and minimize marring the paint.

AIO is a nice base for Zaino, but if you have swirls, you will need an abrasive to remove them. My Jetta`s clear was a pain, so I needed #83 to work nealry all of them out.

Your process is good, just skip the Accumulator wash and use an abrasive if you need prior to the AIO.

Genesis
03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Spilchy!!

So should I use 83 instead of 80 for swirl/scratch removal?

stiege
03-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Genesis

Hello Jason:

Should I use Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze to get the swirls out after Step 3 and before Step 4? Should I just use it on the areas that contain swirls/scratches?

Additionally, you refer to #83, #80, and FPII. Is that what you would use JUST for scratch/swirl removal? For instance, if you were in my situation with the above plan, would you do all of that inbetween Steps 3 and 4? Just curious and thanks again!

Genesis,

That`s what I`m GOING to TRY this spring. It seems like many others here have had lots of success with that combo. I gave up last fall because of lots of other projects.

Otherwise, what Spilchy said!

Jason

Genesis
03-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks!

Hoping someone can help me with another silly question. I am about to purchase a PC 7424 from autogeek and was wondering what else I will need for it. Do i need a backing plate? a counter weight? ANy help would be great!

Spilchy
03-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Genesis

Thanks for the info, Spilchy!!

So should I use 83 instead of 80 for swirl/scratch removal?

Use #80 first and a white polishing pad. If that doesn`t work, try the #83 with a yellow cutting pad and then follow with the #80 and a white polishing pad.

Remember to allow the product to break down and polish out the surface.

Watch these videos. It is for working with a rotary, but you get a great explanation on how to work the buffer as far as pressure and the dimishing abrasive technology. Definately check it out. You`ll need the free Real Player to view it.

Video: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=31&page=1

Free real Player if you need it: http://learn.serebra.com/system/download/rp8-standard-u1-setup.exe

When you purchase the PC from autogeek, see if they have a kit for it. Usually it`ll contain a backing plate and some pads to start. Stick with the 6.5" pads and 5" backing plate to start.