PDA

View Full Version : paste or liquid

bigsled
03-15-2005, 09:38 AM
from what i`m gathering, carnauba should be bought in paste instead of liquid ? also can you use pc to apply paste ? alot of people say they are applying paste wax by hand ? thank you..todd

togwt
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Before the advent of a machine to apply polish/wax, most waxes were formulated as a paste and were applied by hand, once machine application became popular the mfg formulated a liquid wax for easier machine application.

To apply a paste wax by machine warm up (Microwave a non-metallic containers) the paste and push up from the base (to `pop` the wax) and apply to a foam pad.

JonM

JonM

spotpad
03-15-2005, 11:10 AM
JonM, wouldn`t that cause the solvents in the paste to "evaporate"?

I`m interested in this idea except that my paste wax is in a metal container. How would you go about warming the wax up? Should I leave it in the sun or put it on top of a candle?

Thanks!

togwt
03-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by merci

JonM, wouldn`t that cause the solvents in the paste to "evaporate"?

I`m interested in this idea except that my paste wax is in a metal container. How would you go about warming the wax up? Should I leave it in the sun or put it on top of a candle?

Thanks!

The operative word here is warm-up the paste. Warm ther wax in a metal container by using-the sun, a hair dryer but advise against the candle due to risk of melting sovents, which could negativly effect the wax or a hot liquid that could burn you or cause a fire

JonM

bigsled
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
i was still wondering what is better for shine / duriability , i thought i read here somewhere, that once the carnauba is put into a liquid form it loses some of its effect.???

togwt
03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
To formulate a liquid wax a solvent/ oil is added( strickly speaking I should say more solvent is added as most waxes are softened with a solvent and/or its used as a carrier system)

I`ve never noticed a `better` shine from one or the other, the only situation I have both types of wax on hand is when I use a liquid and a paste wax to obtain a deeper shine. I apply the paste first and then without removing its residue carefully (otherwise it will cause surface marring and/or remove some of the paste wax) apply a liquid wax.

But I digress and I should apologise as I`m not really answering your original question, hopefully someone else will be able to

JonM

MS22
03-15-2005, 08:32 PM
IMO paste is much better than liquid; I have one liquid wax, CMW, while I have about 10 paste waxes. I would not even both to apply them by machine, hand application is just as quick and there is something soothing about the process.