PDA

View Full Version : sealants over glazes

bigsled
03-15-2005, 08:56 AM
from what i`m gathering here, most sealants have cleaners in them and most glazes have fillers so why are so many people talking about putting sealants on over glazes ?? thanks..todd

opass
03-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by bigsled

from what i`m gathering here, most sealants have cleaners in them and most glazes have fillers so why are so many people talking about putting sealants on over glazes ?? thanks..todd

From what I am gathering here, it is the other way around. Correct me if I am wrong (also newbie for myself).

Most sealants does not have cleaners. Klasse, Poorboy, Zaino, AutoGlym.....are either pure sealant or mix with little bit wax.

Most glazes contain some fillers and oils.

Many people here don`t glaze over sealant. Autopia put glaze before wax and final step of polish to enhance the best gloss.

MS22
03-15-2005, 09:11 AM
The sealants I use (and have had used) have no cleaning capabilities, that includes UPP, FMJ, Wolfgang, EX, and EX-P+. Think about it like this: why would Menzerna offer a Finishing Touch Glaze, which they recommend to be used before their FMJ sealant, if it would be removed by application of said FMJ? I have recently used the FTG under EX-P with no smearing or adverse effects, looks pretty nice too.

bigsled
03-15-2005, 09:30 AM
my mistake, i was thinking of all "in one products" like nxt or klasse aio, they do have cleaners in them that would remove fillers from previous applied products..

togwt
03-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Wax, Glaze and Polymer Differences:

â€Â¢Polymer Sealant- (provides durable protection)-A non-organic based wax formulated from polymer paints that doesnâ€â„¢t contain abrasives / cleaners and is used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier. They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine. This type of product is a compromise as it does provide durability but lacks the properties of a Carnauba wax lacking both colour and depth, and because of a polymer`s inherent molecular structure it cannot mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax

â€Â¢Glaze- (purely an aesthetic product ) that provides gloss but very little protection; it`s often referred to as Show Glaze, made from an emulsion formulated from polymers and Carnauba wax that `fills in` small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. Its filling abilities usually wear off in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process

Carnauba Wax- (provides a sacrificial but renewable protection)-A natural wax repellent, it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird droppings, it provides Colour, Depth and Clarity that is without equal, but lacks durability

JonM