PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bubbling Up From Underneath Paint

underneath
03-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Hello, on the trunk of my `93 Mustang GT, actually right on the lip of the trunk, rust seems to be bubbling out from underneath the paint. I`m pretty sure it`s rust though right now it looks like it`s in the first stages of turning really ugly. Is water seeping in somehow from somewhere? I`ve checked underneath the trunk lip but I can`t find a place that would allow this to happen. However, it`s happening and I need to know what you experts recommend to stop it or fix what I`ve got. Check out the pic to see what I`m talking about. Thanks for ANY advice.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/underneathheaven/rust-c.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/underneathheaven/side-twoc.jpg

Jeff94z28
03-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Going to need to be grinded down and repainted. No way around that. You need to get rid of ALL the rust otherwise it will be back, just a matter of time.

Edit by the way I dont like Stangs all that much, exspecially foxbodys but Im really liking yours. The color and paint are in excellent shape, well minus the rust on the back. Usually they are all beat up and faded. Keep it looking good.

imported_Adamah
03-15-2005, 01:30 AM
How badly do you want to keep the car? That rust is beyond grinding off. Your choices are to cut it out or to replace the whole panel.

MorBid
03-15-2005, 05:45 AM
I would...

1) Sandblast the affected areas

2) Chem treat with something like Picklex 20 or some other metal prep that contains Zinc

3) Fill/glaze the sheet metal where any damage from the rust is

4) Prime and paint.

All that being said, the best way to get rid of rust is to cut the affected area out, weld in a patch the proceed from there or replace the entire panel as mentioned.

Anyway, your car`s paint job looks really good and if you`ve never done body work (esp painting) I would take it to a shop and have them do it.

If for no other reason than your going to have to "blend" the new paint with the old and that takes some experience to get right.

At any rate, I wouldn`t let it go for too long...