PDA

View Full Version : Fine cut cleaner

RedMam
03-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I know most of you are going to cringe when i say this. I was haveing problems getting out some moderent swirles and scratches. I used #80 with polishing pad it diden`t look good so i used #83 with cutting pad looked better did a 2nd pass no luck so i used #2 with cutting pad all marks came out. I used #9 to bring back the gloss and topped with #26. WOW looks dam good. (used it on a 1996 gray Nissan sentra)

Scottwax
03-14-2005, 11:08 PM
#2 will work with a PC but you have to work it a lot longer than you would with a rotary and it will definitely leave some marring.

If you have a car with soft paint, it probably will leave significant marring but with hard paint you may be able to get away with it.

rkf76
03-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I used #2 with a rotary on my car this weekend and it came out great. My first time using a rotary too!

Accumulator
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Interesting that you only needed #9 for the follow-up.

Seems to be very dependent upon the paint being worked. I used it back in the day on single stage, but when I tried it last year (on both ss and b/c) it really scoured things up unless I used it with a rotary, and even then it left a lot of micromarring. I almost suspect I got a bad bottle :nixweiss

As with most of this stuff, experiment carefully and if something works for you then it works :xyxthumbs

RedMam
03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replys. I dont know what`s with #2 but its working for me very well. I must be working it well because im getting very very lite if no marring or scouring at all I dont have an answer way but what Accumulator said (if it works it works)

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2005, 10:41 PM
#2/#9/#26 was the recommended practice when Meguiar`s came out with their "Hi-Tech" product line back in the `80`s. #2 was a product that could be applied by hand back then, but it`s been reformulated since for rotary only (hence Accumlator`s problems). Of course, it was one of the products announced for discontinuation recently, also.

rkf76
03-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

#2/#9/#26 was the recommended practice when Meguiar`s came out with their "Hi-Tech" product line back in the `80`s. #2 was a product that could be applied by hand back then, but it`s been reformulated since for rotary only (hence Accumlator`s problems). Of course, it was one of the products announced for discontinuation recently, also. Any idea what the shelf life is for #2? If it`s being discontinued, I`d like to get another bottle or two. But being that I don`t intend on using it more than once a year,if even that, just want to make sure it`ll last if I buy another bottle or two.

Setec Astronomy
03-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Heck, I think this stuff oughta last just about forever if you keep it tightly capped. My bottle is from the 80`s...I have a friend who was just using his from the same time....said it worked great.

rkf76
03-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Heck, I think this stuff oughta last just about forever if you keep it tightly capped. My bottle is from the 80`s...I have a friend who was just using his from the same time....said it worked great. Cool! I don`t plan on using too much more on my car and it`s a new bottle so I think I`ll just get one more, should last me plenty long enough to fall in love with another product. I must say, #2 and a rotary works wonders on heavily swirled paint:up I was even using el cheapo pads and it was my first time with a rotary, but man, the results were awesome!!!

Accumulator
03-16-2005, 11:45 AM

#2/#9/#26 was the recommended practice when Meguiar`s came out with their "Hi-Tech" product line back in the `80`s. #2 was a product that could be applied by hand back then, but it`s been reformulated since for rotary only (hence Accumlator`s problems)...

Ah, that "reformulation" news explains why it seemed *so* different from how I had remembered it. Doesn`t explain why others have good results by PC (and even supposedly by hand!) but oh well..I still wonder if I somehow got a bad bottle nixweiss

Yeah, products like this will keep a long, long time as long as you make sure they`re properly sealed. I too have polishes that are quite old that still work fine.

rkf76
03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Ah, that "reformulation" news explains why it seemed *so* different from how I had remembered it. Doesn`t explain why others have good results by PC (and even supposedly by hand!) but oh well..I still wonder if I somehow got a bad bottle nixweiss

Yeah, products like this will keep a long, long time as long as you make sure they`re properly sealed. I too have polishes that are quite old that still work fine. Yes, #2 can give good results by hand as well. I applied it on the rear pillar of my car to see how good of a job it did, not bad. It was 10 times better with a rotary, but still a noticeable improvement.