PDA

View Full Version : What to use on titanium?

Pages : [1] 2

Ducky
03-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey, guys! I ran a search before making this thread and came up empty.

I have a titanium exhuast can that I wanna touch up. It has a polished(SS) tip. I`m using billet mothers for that but I`m clueless for the titanium part. I`ve polished the tip every time I washed the car(every week) but the titanium part was never touched.

Is there a special polish/cleaner for titaniums or is mother billet polish good for it? Thanks guys.

Scottwax
03-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Just try Mother`s on a small section and see. I`m not aware of any titanium specific polishes.

Ducky
03-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I don`t have big enough balls to experiment on my $1000+ exhaust system....I can`t find any valid info on the net for cleaning titanium...

BTW- here`s my review on mothers billet polish. For some reason, my towel doesnt turn black like the mother mag does....it only turns into a dark gray color. It says to stop using if it doesnt turn dark...can that be the case??

Overall,13 bucks for the billet is a waste of money. It still leaves a haze behind just like the 4 dollar mag polish. what a waste of money! I`ll post pictures of mag and billet compared....soon.

mikeypom
03-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Ducky,

I assume you can clean it the same way I clean my titanium watch. All I use is a plain pencil eraser.

Works very well, and it really is very soft on the titanium. It is suprising that titanium which is supposedly a super strength metal marks so very easily.

My watch is a Breitling and the finish almost seems brushed if that makes sense. The eraser removes the marks and dirt and leaves the surface like it is brand new.

As for polish I really have no idea of any products you could possibly use, as the finish is so soft.

TGates
03-15-2005, 01:38 AM
http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35951

togwt
03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
IzÄ einszett Metal Polish Ãâ‚Å“ChrompflegeÃâ‚Â, P21S Multi-Surface Finish or Autosol. I am not aware of a specific polish for titanium (I just know that its a very `hard`metal )

I`m sorry I can`t be more specific (maybe a bike guy could help?)

JonM

Lowejackson
03-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Have a look at http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/eneu/stainless.html There was a recent positive thread about English Custom Polishing. Might be worth an email or phone

forrest@mothers
03-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Ducky - Billet Metal Polish is made for use on billet aluminum. To use it on stainless exhaust tips, and then state the product is a waste of money because it didn`t do a good job, doesn`t quite seem fair.

It`s a much less aggressive product than our regular Mag & Aluminum Polish, which is why it didn`t turn as black.

Stainless is a much harder surface than aluminum, and titanium is even harder than stainless. You need a more aggressive product, not less, and serious speed from a mechanical device of some sort to make it shine.

Ducky
03-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh, I didn`t know anything about the hardness of certain metals.

I tried mother`s mag on one half of the tip and billets on the other half...and they both looked similar. I`m going to use the billet on my alunimum pipes and see how they turn out.

BTW- I ended up using mothers on the titanium. It cleaned it up nicely. However, the eraser trick seems to be a good idea as well.

BTW- do any of you guys know how to polish dull aluminum to bling bling? Also, are porter cables ok to use on polished polished aluminum rims with the right paddings?

Originally posted by forrest

Ducky - Billet Metal Polish is made for use on billet aluminum. To use it on stainless exhaust tips, and then state the product is a waste of money because it didn`t do a good job, doesn`t quite seem fair.

It`s a much less aggressive product than our regular Mag & Aluminum Polish, which is why it didn`t turn as black.

Stainless is a much harder surface than aluminum, and titanium is even harder than stainless. You need a more aggressive product, not less, and serious speed from a mechanical device of some sort to make it shine.

Flexin
03-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ducky

BTW- do any of you guys know how to polish dull aluminum to bling bling? Also, are porter cables ok to use on polished polished aluminum rims with the right paddings?

Was the dull aluminum polished before and now just needs work or is it just the aluminum that you want to polish?

James

togwt
03-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Aluminum:

For Aluminum, magnesium and chrome surfaces; once surface is clean and grease free use Simichrome Polish (www.eastwood.com) it can also be used on vehicle mirror mounts and antique radio trim. Once youÃâ‚â„ve finished polishing mist the aluminium with some water then sprinkle on corn starch and polish in one direction only, this will also remove any oils. Apply a polymer (ZoopSeal) protection. Casswell Aluminium Polishing (http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm )

Caswell Buffing / Polish Kit (http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm)

JonM

Flexin
03-15-2005, 10:54 PM
If the metal if rough you need to sand it first. Or if its coated, that will need to be removed.

James

Flexin
03-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I polished the front wheel of my motorcycle. I have 8 hours into it between removing paint, sanding and polishing. I still think I need another hour or so for me to be happy with it. I still haven`t touched the back wheel yet. That one should be easier.

I was about an hour and a half into this rim at this point. Maybe 2.5 hours. The rim was painted black.

James

Flexin
03-15-2005, 11:03 PM
This is the almost finished rim. Its a bad pic because the rim is dirty but you can still tell it needs more work.

James

Ducky
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
aluminum that I want to polish.

Originally posted by Flexin

Was the dull aluminum polished before and now just needs work or is it just the aluminum that you want to polish?

James