PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding polishing (when to wipe off)

TGates
03-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I am going to be polishing my GTO during spring break and have a question regarding the polishing process. I have a little 1ZPP that I am going to use up before switching to my PB`s SSR`s. I will be using it with a white pad via PC.

I`m not sure if I`m using the 1ZPP correctly. Do I work it in until it begins to dust? How do I know when I have used it to the best of it`s ability? Do I work one section at a time, until the product starts to dust, then wipe that section clean, and move on or do I wait and wipe the whole car off at the end?

I will be following it with AIO then Z5 and Z2Pro.

togwt
03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Work the polish until â€Ëœalmostâ€â„¢ dry or when it changes to a thin, clear[Vasaline like] liquid (its not necessary to use until it becomes a powder or is completely dissipated)

JonM

Accumulator
03-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Right, "almost dry", especially with the 1Z stuff. Their polishes contain two things you gotta consider: diminishing abrasives and wax. While you *do* need to work them long enough to break down the abrasives, you might also think of the products as "cleaner waxes", and you don`t work a wax until it dusts. If it seems to dry too fast you might slow the PC down a bit more than you usually would. People`s experiences with the PP seem to vary so you`ll have to see how it works for you.

FWIW, if you need to break the job up into stages, the wax in the PP will protect your finish pretty well. You could always continue with the SSR stuff after the next wash.