PDA

View Full Version : Spray on de-icers?

dalmore
11-29-2004, 02:10 AM
For the first winter in several years, my daily driver will be parked outside. :(
I`ve seen spray on window de-icers - do they work? Looks like most have chemicals that would remove wax/sealant too. Anyone know of a wax friendly one?

TIA.

Poorboy
11-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Let me get this right...you live in Georgia and are worried about ice on your windows:confused:

No really, yes you are right those are strong chemicals, usually they will contain some type of alchohol which will defintely strip off wax and sealants

ps get an automatic starter and leave your defroster on ...it`s a great Holiday present:D

dalmore
11-29-2004, 08:51 AM
I just hate scrapping windows!! :D

Macgirl
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
You may want to give this a try.....
einszett Eistau De-Icer:
Purpose: Melts ice on windshield to make removal easy
Quickly de-ices windshield and makes thick ice easier to remove. Special additives prevent re-icing. Will not harm enameled paints, chrome, rubber or glass. Free of toxic methanol. Clear visibility, prevents filming which causes dangerous glare. Silicone-free. Suitable for plastic headlight lenses.

I got a bottle last year but we only had one storm and once I got the Eistau I didn`t have a chance to use it. This year looks to be a different story, last week we got 4 inches for Thanksgiving and the weather people are predicting 2 inches on Tuesday evening. I`m hoping to give a go and see how it works.

If you are interested I think Detailer`s Paradise has it in stock.

Nickc0844
11-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes Poorboy, we do get ice here in Georgia :lmfao

Dalmore, I used mine for the first ice we had last week. I think I got the Prestone stuff. I started using it last year and it works extremely fast.....faster than my Remote Starter :lol

I haven`t noticed any streaking on my finish, but I`m always waxing :crazy

Poorboy
11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Sure you get ice, how long does it last....... until Sunrise:nono :lmfao

JaredPointer
11-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Sure you get ice, how long does it last....... until Sunrise:nono :lmfao

I have to agree with Nick on this one Steve....it does get pretty cold (at least for the backward South) at times here. We even see snow occasionally. That`s when we run out of milk and bread. HAHAHAHAHA!
:rofl :hah :lol :rolling :lmfao :rofl :hah :lol :rolling :lmfao

kaos
11-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Keeping a good coat of Rain-X on your windshield will also make the ice/frost much easier to remove. I still scrape, but it takes virtually no effort. When I notice that it`s getting harder to scrape off, I know it`s time to borrow a friend`s garage for a little while to slap on a fresh coat of Rain-X in a somewhat more reasonable temperature. :)

I don`t know if Rain-X actually makes a de-icer, but if they did, it would be logical to assume that it would not strip the Rain-X from the windshield. I use their wiper fluid additive which is designed to enhance the protection of the coat that`s already there, and prevent stripping it.

pappy
11-30-2004, 08:21 PM
oh man....complaining about ice in georgia :hah .....everymorning starting about 3 weeks ago untill spring i have to scrape ice off my windows.... not just frost but actually ice!

We even see snow occasionally. That`s when we run out of milk and bread.
thats when we here in MN put on a long sleeve shirt on. ;)