PDA

View Full Version : quick claying question

jimithing78
03-13-2005, 02:20 AM
i have whay should be a pretty easy questions for you more experienced guys. i did a detail on my car in mid january. washed with dawn, clayed, then applied zfx + z2 pro. i`m going to be washing it again tomorrow (first time the weather`s co-operated in a while) and i`d like to apply some more zaino. i assume i need to clay it again before i apply to make sure i get a good smooth surface. but will claying again remove the previous layers i originally applied? should i just start completely over with the dawn wash?

White95Max
03-13-2005, 02:30 AM
If you did a detail (with claying) in January, you probably don`t need to clay it again. I would just top it with a fresh coat of Zaino instead of doing everything over.

audipower
03-13-2005, 03:41 AM
i don`t know where you live, but if it snows and have salt on the roads I would. So that salt gets removed. Unless you have a sealent on it? I don`t know the abreviations well. If you used a sealent use a good shampoo wash twice (once for heavy) and add some zaino.

jimithing78
03-13-2005, 11:55 AM
i live in texas, so there`s not really any salt on the roads during the winter. i just didn`t want to reapply zaino without claying for fear of locking something underneath it. i guess i`ll just make sure i wash it real good to get as many of the contaminants off the car as possible.

Accumulator
03-13-2005, 02:28 PM
I always do a *very* gentle claying before refreshing my LSP. I don`t have any reason to believe I remove an appreciable amount of existing LSP when I do this.

I don`t use Zaino, but people have posted that Sal Z. says claying will remove an average of 1/2 a layer of Zaino. Considering the different levels of aggressiveness with which different people clay, I`d say Zaino must hold up pretty well to being clayed.

Someone I know who uses Zaino and spot-clays all the time (as I do) claims she doesn`t remove much, if any, of her Z.