PDA

View Full Version : 1st time detailing, is this the way to go?

team ERA 5
03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Yes, im a totally noob at car detailing and i needed your guy`s input on the following.

This is what i ended up buying on my pep-boys night boredom run. Is this the right way to go? on a college kid budget! the car is garaged everyday incase you needed to know...

the clay bar (clay magic) isnt pictured but heres what i plan on using

wash

dry

-clay magic whole car

wash car again

dry

-step 1 paint cleaner

-step 2 polish

-step 3 carnauba wax

-3 applicator pads for each step

-3 microfiber cloths for removing each meguires step

TOTAL=34.41 (minus the claymagic bar because they didnt have any in stock)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/w...zMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

any tips before i start tomorrow?

***the quick detailer is going to be used in between the months i dont wax.***

a.k.a. Patrick
03-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Wash, clay while still wet, then dry....Just saved you two steps....PC or by hand ? Are those Megs products? Sounds like the Deep Crystal....

Originally posted by team ERA 5

wash

dry

-clay magic whole car

wash car again

dry

-step 1 paint cleaner

-step 2 polish

-step 3 carnauba wax

-3 applicator pads for each step

-3 microfiber cloths for removing each meguires step

TOTAL=34.41 (minus the claymagic bar because they didnt have any in stock)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/w...zMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

any tips before i start tomorrow?

***the quick detailer is going to be used in between the months i dont wax.***

team ERA 5
03-13-2005, 02:05 AM
yes they are meguire products, and i plan on just using my hand power!

audipower
03-13-2005, 03:43 AM
try to put a sealent on to add more protection to your paint and will look great if you add another coat of wax down the road. If you don`t use cleaner waxes. If you use cleaners waxes then never mind.

1 Clean WS6
03-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Excellent routine and product selection to get you "used" to the process of multi-step detailing. :up

Make sure to take your time and be patient during the entire process. Use lots of lube when you clay, apply and remove the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (1) and Polish (2) one section at a time (hood, fender, door...etc.). Make sure your "work" both products in well and do not allow them to haze/dry. Doing so only makes them harder to remove and provides no benefit to the paint.

Apply a second coat of the Carnauba (3) after about 24 hours. This product will not layer but the second coat will make sure you have complete product coverage of the vehicle.

Good luck and post some pics when your done!!

RedondoV6
03-13-2005, 08:44 AM
That`s a great introduction to detailing (the Megs three step was my first introduction to "real" detailing).

It`s probably more than you want to think about now, but check out the threads on using a Porter Cable polisher. It`s way easier than working by hand and the results will be better.

Good luck!

team ERA 5
03-14-2005, 01:30 AM
thanks a lot guys! i just finished up today, with your help! took me a total of 5 1/2 tedious hours! turned out great! i love it! but ill for sure look into a portable buffer!

i think my left arm might be a litttle buffer! haha

imported_liam
03-14-2005, 02:35 AM
lol - glad you loved it.

be careful if your thinking of getting a buffer. not all are the same... the 20 buck ones from department stores are going to be not better for your paint than your arm... the PC is the only way to fly. (without getting a rotary).

good luck