PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber drying (after washing)....

Corey Bit Spank
03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
So....I was thinking again about the microfiber debate after I worked for uhm....the crappiest detailing place that you could. But they did something that got me thinking.

They didn`t put most of their towels in a dryer. Of course the main reason was to save money (they just spun them until they were barely damp), but another was that they found that their towels weren`t lasting as long or retaining as much water. These weren`t microfibers but still, it got me thinking.

So given that I did wash/dry my WW more than the other microfibers, this is my new prevailing theory on why that no matter what I do to it, it doesn`t have the same water absorbency as new. Obviously I don`t wax my car everytime I wash it, and I don`t use every towel (about 10 or so in total) everytime I wax. And I don`t use every towel every time I detail my car, so they really haven`t been put through the wash/through the dryer more. Maybe Mr. Pakshak can explain if my theory is good or bad.

And before anybody says, "you put it on too long," I only put it on for 25 or so minutes, on delicate (less heat). :nixweiss I think I`m going to air dry my new one just to see if it does the same thing, or if it`s the WAUD, or if it`s how I wash it. :nixweiss

wannafbody
03-12-2005, 06:25 PM
its probably the WAUD-it must have a pretty tough polymer in it

Corey Bit Spank
03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I`m really not questioning the WAUD theory entirely, but I meant this thread to be more of a question of the heat versus microfiber. :) Lets keep it at that since the WAUD debate has been done a few times.

stevet
03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I put all my waffle weaves in the dryer and have since day one and they work fine.

AMP01
03-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Corey Bit Spank,

After washing, I put all my microfiber towels in the dryer on the "air" setting/no heat. It`s the best way I have found to maintain my mf towels.

Cheers,

Corey Bit Spank
03-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by AMP01

Corey Bit Spank,

After washing, I put all my microfiber towels in the dryer on the "air" setting/no heat. It`s the best way I have found to maintain my mf towels.

Cheers,

I was thinking about this too, but I wash the towels after I use them, and won`t use them for another few days at least...so it doesn`t bother me if I put them on a line to dry. :)

sgo
03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I don`t find the drying hurts them as long as it`s very low heat or air-dry. If your MF`s aren`t as absorbant after washing and drying I`m going to bet your washer may have some fabric softener from a previous wash lingering in it. I ran a couple of loads of nothing but vinegar and water through the washer before washing my MF`s. Also, I would imagine a dryer may have residual FS left in from a previous drying if you use the sheets.

TW85 HHI
03-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I run everything through the dryer (pads, applicators, and all MFs) on the delicate setting until completely dry, usually 70-80 minutes; I have not noticed a loss of absorbency or early wear.

BigAl3
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by AMP01

I put all my microfiber towels in the dryer on the "air" setting/no heat.

agreed, i put it on the lowest heat/dry cycle and it works fine.

Corey Bit Spank
03-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by SteveOst

I don`t find the drying hurts them as long as it`s very low heat or air-dry. If your MF`s aren`t as absorbant after washing and drying I`m going to bet your washer may have some fabric softener from a previous wash lingering in it. I ran a couple of loads of nothing but vinegar and water through the washer before washing my MF`s. Also, I would imagine a dryer may have residual FS left in from a previous drying if you use the sheets.

Quite possible, but my other microfibers are fine, so I don`t know.

We use the downy ball for this very reason. My mom hates how the dispenser leaves residual softner in it. This is also why we don`t use the bleach dispenser...