PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my Wheel Bolts

Pages : [1] 2

pingable
03-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Alright...I`m tired thinking about this. I know I can`t send these back out to get rechromed since they do a acid bath prior to rechroming my wheel bolts and I don`t want to mess with strength intergrity by doing that. Then again, don`t they do acid baths for old engines when they do restorations ?

Option 2 - Leave as is

Option 3 - Buy new bolts and get them rechromed. I always hand tight my wheels but I did bring my wheels to a local tire joint when I had a flat to get it patched and they used the impact.

I`m leaning on option 2 if eventually, the finish will end up what it is right now. Or I can go Option 3 and Never bring it to the local tire joint and take the hours drive to my tuning joint which does handle my wheels & even lug bolts by hand only.

http://alan.home.pipeline.com/bolt.jpg

imported_jgv
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Einzsett Chrome Polish would preform miracles on those bolts ;)

jmsc
03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
In my part of the world there are tire shops (not many though) who will change tires/bolts by hand. Search and seek out the hi-end shoppes that sell Porsche, Corvette tires.

I would buy new ones but keep the old ones to swap out for the next flat. You can cleanup the rust and grease on the bolts (done this myself) but the nicks will remain.

Accumulator
03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Once you get new ones/clean up the old ones, you might want to look into those special sockets that have a fiberglass resin (IIRC :confused: ) core that doesn`t chip chrome. Or at least try to find a brand of socket that contacts more on the flats of the bolts than on the corners. Lots of manufacturers *say* their sockets do that, but I dunno if they all do it to the same degree...I`m still trying to find *just* the right socket for the chrome lugnuts on my 9C1. My Craftsman sockets aren`t quite what I`d like.

If you find a socket that you like enough to buy *just* for those lug bolts, I`d keep it in the vehicle so it`s always there when anybody needs it. In my experience even most small-time tire shops are cool with customers saying "hey,I`m one particular SOB, how about using this socket..."

I`d expect rechroming lug bolts to be *so* labor intensive that it would cost *so* much that I`d just get new ones. I`d think you could just *buy* chromed ones instead of having to get any aftermarket chroming done.

buldog
03-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Unless there is something special about these lugs, it is probably cheaper to buy new. That way you won`t be out a vehicle while they are out for rechroming. Don`t forget to apply a coat of light oil to the threads prior to installing.

GearHead_1
03-12-2005, 08:14 PM
You`re probably already doing this but I`ve always found 6 point sockets to be much easier on lug nut/bolts than 12 point sockets. :up

CRXSi90
03-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey, those are facinating looking BOLTS! What car is it that you have that requires BOLTS instead of NUTS?

SpoiledMan
03-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by CRXSi90

Hey, those are facinating looking BOLTS! What car is it that you have that requires BOLTS instead of NUTS?

MBZ, BMW, Porsche, VW and I think Audi.

pingable
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
They came with my HRE wheels for my BMW X5.

http://alan.home.pipeline.com/x5/hre.jpg

Beeguy
03-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I have had very good luck using a buffing wheel to clean up bolts. With chrome or stainless a buffing wheel with stick polish. Steel bolts get cleaned with a wire wheel. Just use a strong grip and watch your fingers. A soft pad under the wheel just in case one get s loose.

Accumulator
03-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, Audis take bolts too, unless you convert to studs.

chefwong- HREs are nice, I had them on my C5. I`d just call them up for another set of bolts. By the looks of it, you don`t need to replace *all* of them, just the ones that are really chipped and corroded.

josh_s70glt
03-14-2005, 10:10 PM
FYI: Volvo also uses lug bolts instead of studs and lug nuts.

GoFastTSI
03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Eastwood sells a really nice bolt tumbler/cleaner. Used it to clean up old bolts for motor rebuilds and restorations.

CRXSi90
03-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for educating me, guys! Thats interesting about the bolts...it will make me look at the cars in a whole new way! :p I wonder what advantage bolts have? I hope there is some kind of centrical hub because if there wasn`t, it would make mounting one of these awfully hard (hold wheel in place and THEN stick the bolt in).

Steve530
03-15-2005, 09:34 PM
BMWs use hub cenrtic wheels, but mounting the wheels is not easy.

There is a tool that you insert in the top bolt hole to support the wheel until you get a few bolts attached.

BTW, those look loike stock wheel bolts, should be available at the dealer or one of the online stores.