PDA

View Full Version : Got a PC now - pls advise on plan

ogie_s
03-12-2005, 09:27 AM
So after reading a bunch of stuff here and realizing the potential time and labor savings of using a PC (especially with a black car) I broke down and went to Lowe`s to pick up a 7336SP. Despite my car being new I noticed some fine scratches that I`d like to get out once the weather cooperates.

So here`s the plan I`ve come up with - anyone please let me know what you think (this will be my first time using anything like a PC so I`d welcome any advice):

1. Wash with Zaino Z7

2. Claybar as needed

3. Re-wash w/ Z7

4. Polish with Menzerna FP II using PC + white polishing pad(s)

5. Klasse AIO w/ PC

6. Z2 Pro + ZFX

7. Z6

8. additional coats of alternating Z2Pro/Z5 and Z6 if I feel up to it

I`ll probably try this out first on a friend`s older car to get some experience using the PC w/ the addition of Menzerna Intensive Polish first before step 4 since his car has not been cared for and has swirls aplenty.

Please let me know if this sounds like a halfway-decent plan and if there`s anything you would change. Thanks!

PS - Can anyone give me any tips on applying Z2 and Z5 nice and thin - the first time I tried it I`m convinced I put it on too thickly which made it much harder to buff off. I read afterwards about spritzing the applicator w/ z6 first so I`ll try that this time but are there any other tricks to it?

ogie_s
03-12-2005, 09:37 AM
I forgot to mention that I was planning on buying this kit to get me started w/ Menz and AIO - do you think this would be enough for the above? I don`t want to go crazy buying a lot of Menz and AIO just yet when I`m still a newb to this.

http://www.properautocare.com/menklasconki.html

Thanks!

opass
03-12-2005, 09:39 AM
If you want using clay bar, no need to dry the car after the first wash. While it is still wet, just mix your own lub with Z7 one oz to 12 oz water, and start claying.

JeffM
03-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I wouldnt buy that kit.

The final polish is the old version.

togwt
03-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Surface Preparation- (using Menzerna polishes and Klasse All-In-One)

1.Wash vehicle with a good quality car wash concentrate 1.0oz per 2 gallon (Zaino Z-7)

2.Rinse vehicle thoroughly.

3.Remove any imbedded contaminants with detailing clay (Clay Magicâ„¢)

and a lubrication solution 5:1 (Distilled water/Woolite®)

4.Remove surface imperfections with (Menzerna Intensive Polish) 6/10, Orange /White Pad, speed # 5.0

5.A swirl mark remover (Menzerna Final Polish II, (Contains oils) CA 3/10, White Pad, speed # 4.5

6.Clean paint film surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One)

7.Lightly wash paint surface with a diluted car wash concentrate (Zaino Z-7) 1.0oz per gallon

8.Dry thoroughly and start applying a Zaino Z-2/ Z-3 / Z-5 + ZFX solution

Note: For Ceramiclear clear coat use (4) Menzerna PO85RD, CAS 3/10 and (5) PO106FF (CAS5/10 these polishes are better suited for use with a high-speed rotary polisher as the micro-abrasives require heat to break down efficiently.

JonM

ogie_s
03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by JBM

I wouldnt buy that kit.

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out, I didn`t notice that since they don`t even offer FP I separately on that site so I just assumed it was FP II. Weird.

ogie_s
03-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Surface Preparation- (using Menzerna polishes and Klasse All-In-One)

1.Wash vehicle with a good quality car wash concentrate 1.0oz per 2 gallon (Zaino Z-7)

2.Rinse vehicle thoroughly.

3.Remove any imbedded contaminants with detailing clay (Clay Magicâ„¢)

and a lubrication solution 5:1 (Distilled water/Woolite®)

4.Remove surface imperfections with (Menzerna Intensive Polish) 6/10, Orange /White Pad, speed # 5.0

5.A swirl mark remover (Menzerna Final Polish II, (Contains oils) CA 3/10, White Pad, speed # 4.5

6.Clean paint film surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One)

7.Lightly wash paint surface with a diluted car wash concentrate (Zaino Z-7) 1.0oz per gallon

8.Dry thoroughly and start applying a Zaino Z-2/ Z-3 / Z-5 + ZFX solution

Note: For Ceramiclear clear coat use (4) Menzerna PO85RD, CAS 3/10 and (5) PO106FF (CAS5/10 these polishes are better suited for use with a high-speed rotary polisher as the micro-abrasives require heat to break down efficiently.

JonM

So I take it I should skip re-washing after clay, just go straight to polishing and AIO, THEN re-wash after applying Klasse. Is that right?

JeffM
03-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I do it like this. I make up 2 wash buckets, one with a normal amout of soap, another alittle stronger.

I also use a seperate rinse bucket.

But i wash the car and rinse, then i go back and clay with the other wash bucket. I dont like the sudz, so i make the bucket as foam free as i can.

Then i rinse again.

Other people do it different, but i dont want to clay without rinsing off some of the dirty soap that is on the surface, and i wont use a dirty soap bucket, even though i have a seperate rinse bucket.

imported_agentf1
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by JBM

I wouldnt buy that kit.

I just spoke to John at properautocare.com and he said that that kit as well as the get acquainted kit are FPII. They do not sell the old version UNLESS you request it.

ogie_s
03-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by agentf

I just spoke to John at properautocare.com and he said that that kit as well as the get acquainted kit are FPII. They do not sell the old version UNLESS you request it.

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying the 16 oz IP and FP II since I figured there was not that big a difference in price and I`d probably find a use for it on mine and some friends` cars eventually.