PDA

View Full Version : noob needs help picking a sealant! + detailing in the right order.

zachwhite0
03-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey guys. I am getting ready to get my Metallic Silver 2000 Trans Am out of storage and I want to start off with a bang. I want to make sure im not being counter productive and removing stuff I just put on becasue the next thing I put on is abrasive etc...So far this is what I have figured out...

Im gonna start with a Meg. Gold class wash

Clay bar

p21S

another wash

sealant

Meg 16#

What would you guys recommend as a sealant?

Are my steps in the right order?

Feel free to completely rip apart what I have now and give me a better combo for silver.

Thank you for any help you guys can give me. Ive been lurking on here for a little while and I must say you are all experts on keeping cars protected and looking good.

goceltics34
03-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I am new too but here is the order needed...

wash

clay

wash

polish

paint sealant

carnauba wax

As far as sealants, I have tried WG Paint Sealant and I like the look. Very wet finish. Especially topping it with Pinnacle Signature Series. Awesome Finish!

hirosh
03-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by zachwhite0

Im gonna start with a Meg. Gold class wash

Clay bar

p21S

another wash

sealant

Meg 16#

when you say p21s, do you mean P21S the wax? or the paint cleaner? if it is the wax, that would go at the end. so you would have to choose between p21s or Megs #16. either one is nice, #16 lasts longer. if you mean the paint cleaner, that would be right before the sealant/wax.

but if anything you could just:

wash

clay

polish

paint sealant

carnauba wax

you don`t have to wash after claying. and you can always clay while washing, or just clay after you finished washing. it doesn`t really matter as much as making sure you clean all the contanminents off the paint with the clay.

just make sure you do a good job polishing it out. a good polish can makes a big difference if done properly.

as far as a sealant for silver, there are a lot of good ones out there, it just depends on what you`re looking: durability, ease of application/removal, looks, etc etc. trying do a search for "silver" in the `click & brag` section might help you find the products that you think will look good on your car.

good luck and happy detailing! :wavey

holland_patrick
03-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Upp is the sealant you want... I would use AIO or VM as a base

then top it with either natty`s or pin sig

wannafbody
03-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Zaino looks great on silver-someone posted some pics

JeffM
03-12-2005, 07:52 PM
UPP looks great on my light blue metallic...

Usta HaveA Hemi
03-12-2005, 07:55 PM
A newbie question here. How is FMJ different then UPP. Ease of use or just a different look.

Thanks! Usta

Scottwax
03-12-2005, 08:00 PM
On silver paint, UPP, EX-P and Z2 Pro all look truly excellent.

RedondoV6
03-12-2005, 08:22 PM
If your`re looking for that clear wet look that many sealants give, IMHO Zaino is your best bet.

The new Z2 Pro is as wet looking at any other sealant and unlike many competitors, it`s looks just as good after the first wash. No need to layer over VM (contains wax which will diminish durability) or top with another LSP to obtain a very wet look on silver. It`s simple quick and on well prep`d silver paint it can look stunning.

zachwhite0
03-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Would a synthetic wax like meg`s tech wax be considered a sealant? Or is it just considered a synthetic wax and should be put over top of a sealant?

p.s. Thanks so much for all the help guys!

Scottwax
03-13-2005, 12:45 AM
NXT is a synthetic wax and not technically a sealant. You can use it over a sealant but since it does have specialized cleaners (to ensure a good bond) NXT may remove some of the sealant.

Ducky
03-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I thought it was polish over wax? no?

Scottwax
03-13-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Ducky

I thought it was polish over wax? no?

No. However, due to the weird ways companies name their products there are exceptions. Zaino is called a polish but it is really a sealant. Wax Shop`s Super Glaze is actually a wax.

Your wax or sealant is your final step.

Ducky
03-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Scottwax.:D

SphyNxXx
03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
You might want to look into the Wolfgang twins for a polish/sealant combo. Their sealant is really easy to use!