PDA

View Full Version : Trouble after removing emblems

Pages : [1] 2

druuu88
03-11-2005, 02:07 AM
I have a 1997 Acura RL and just recently removed the emblems off the front and back and replaced them with chrome. I decided i liked the back of the car without the name "Acura" and "3.5 RL". I have tried everything to get the adhesive off of the car, and most of it has come off. There is still a small outline around most of the letters, that may be adhesive or possible paint build up or something like that. I really want to remove this, and any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already tried Goo-Gone, and a Bug/Tar remover. I heard WD-40 could work...so ill try that next. Thanks for the help!!!

imported_Burlyq
03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Heat Gun

Soarer V
03-11-2005, 02:28 AM
There is still a small outline around most of the letters, that may be adhesive or possible paint build up

Without seeing the above, you may try a hair dryer, plastic razor blade, clay bar and patience. :nixweiss

Let us know what worked.

BTW, welcome to Autopia

druuu88
03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Thanks a lot for the help! I`ll try all of those above responses, and if none of them work, ill post some pictures to help out.

dschribs
03-11-2005, 07:35 AM
You might want to give this a try. I had good luck with it removing some adhesive from some door moldings I took off a car once.

3Mâ„¢ Adhesive, Tar & Wax Remover (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/autobodymagic/3madtarwaxre.html)

jasonmac
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Mineral spirits, which I think the 3M is. Just make sure to polish/wax, etc. after.

Also for a less agressive step, have you tried clay?

Steve530
03-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Hair dryer and a credit card worked for me.

AMDin93103
03-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I just removed the adhesive under my "Chevrolet" emblem on my van last week. Chevy really didn`t want this one to fall off. 1"x 12" of thick black injected adhesive is what was left after I got the decal off. A combination of a plastic "chizzler", heat gun, clay, Goo-gone, and finally SSR 2.5 on an Excel Yellow. Stupid emblem.

druuu88
03-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I have tried almost all of the above responses. I used Turtle Wax rubbing compound today, and also a polishing compound that was reccomended by an auto parts store. All of the adhesive is gone, but there is still paint imperfections around where some of the letters used to be. An auto shop told me it looked like the clearcoat on the car had been eaten away and what i was seeing was the real paint underneath. So either i will just have the live with the imperfections, or maybe take it to an auto body shop and pay money. Thanks for all the suggestions. if you have any others, feel free to leave them. Also, i will try to post pictures sometime soon (if i can figure out how to on this forum)

thAviEtbOi 37
03-12-2005, 04:25 AM
for me I used Eagle One`s Never Dull. it came off perfectly, but I recently been told that it was bad, don`t know how so, but nothing went bad for me. It also got off some superglue that the previous owner used to put on the emplem, but make sure to clean surface afterwards and wax

AMDin93103
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by druuu88

So either i will just have the live with the imperfections, or maybe take it to an auto body shop and pay money.

You can always reapply them if the imperfections bug you enough. 1.5 cents :nixweiss

ScubaStevo
03-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by thAviEtbOi 37

for me I used Eagle One`s Never Dull. it came off perfectly, but I recently been told that it was bad, don`t know how so, but nothing went bad for me. It also got off some superglue that the previous owner used to put on the emplem, but make sure to clean surface afterwards and wax

Never Dull On paint? :eek:

Are you insane :p

thAviEtbOi 37
03-16-2005, 03:40 AM
i been told the same thing. What is wrong with using it i used it and it worked, no harm done to the paint for me, why do you say so?:nixweiss

EnduroExpertFSR
03-16-2005, 04:23 AM
i do this kinda thing all the time i use a hair drier and some dental floss to get the emblem off

then i use a terry cloth and DACP rub rub rub rub rub and it will heat up and hurt like hell but it gets it off and then come behind and polish up like normal

ScubaStevo
03-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by thAviEtbOi 37

i been told the same thing. What is wrong with using it i used it and it worked, no harm done to the paint for me, why do you say so?:nixweiss

I`m saying this because Never Dull is basically steel wool! I wouldn`t want to see the swirls and run down on those areas. If you didn`t have any problems after you used it, you`re very lucky.