PDA

View Full Version : Will AIO replace clay?

buttashine
11-28-2004, 04:21 AM
Ok I tried AIO for the first time, good stuff. My question is has anyone had a rough surface and tried AIO w/o claying with good results?

6cyl's_of_fury
11-28-2004, 04:39 AM
My question is has anyone had a rough surface and tried AIO w/o claying

Yes

with good results?

No.

They perform two distinctly different functions. Clay or acid wash are your options to remove that roughness you speak of IMO. As for AIO, do a search, there are literally hundreds of threads on what it can do and opinions vary. Who knows, someone else may have had some luck with AIO removing surface roughness or think it probably should.

Larry A
11-28-2004, 10:36 AM
As good as AIO is it will never replace clay. Clay first than AIO than wax or sealant [perfect] unless you have swirls or scratches but thats a different story.

Bill D
11-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Do the cellophane wrapper test over your finger to feel for roughness in the paint. Definitely clay until smooth. I typically reserve AIO as one of my final sealing steps, AIO x2 then SG x ??? Wait a day in between layers, then top with a carnauba wax

Rob Tomlin
11-28-2004, 10:45 PM
I made the mistake of believing you could skip clay in favor of a paint cleaner once......once!

;)

TW85
11-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Bill D,

Whenever claying is mentioned so is running a plastic bag or cellophane over the paint`s surface. Why, and how is that any different than running your bare hand across the paint? Seems like a bare hand would be safer.

Jngrbrdman
11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I echo what has already been said. AIO is a paint cleaner. It does not do the job of clay and clay does not do the job of AIO. They are very seperate tools. Using AIO instead of clay would be like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Its just not going to do the job.

mynci
11-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Whenever claying is mentioned so is running a plastic bag or cellophane over the paint`s surface. Why, and how is that any different than running your bare hand across the paint? Having a piece of cellophane between your finger and the surface magnifies your sense of touch, allowing you to feel more of the embedded contaminants you otherwise might not feel with your bare skin. For this very reason, some Clay Magic packages include a cellophane test glove. If you don`t buy into this, there`s only one way to find out if it works... try it. :jump