PDA

View Full Version : Scratch removal plan

pennoyer
03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I have what appears to be about a two inch key scratch :angry :angry on my front fender. I plan to use 3M fine cut compound; 3M swirl remover for dark cars; AIO; SG and finally P21S wax to remove it. (the car now has AIO; SG and P21S will be applied this weekend) I also have a few other spots with minor surface scratches that I plan to use the same method for removal except not using the fine cut compound. Does this plan sound right? Should I use a different brand compound and swirl remover? After reading as many scratch removal threads as possible I just wanted to check the plan before doing any possible damage to the finish. Everything will be done by hand if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Accumulator
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
There are a number of 3M "fine cut compounds". I prefer the PI-III one (isn`t actually called "fine cut", pn is 05933) but the PI-II (39002) is OK too. You can use these by hand, just work them a good long time so they break down. You will need to follow up with a milder product to remove the RC`s micromarring.

Rather than following with the SMR, I`d use PI-III MG (05937, now discontinued but still commonly available) or the new PI-3000 SMR (don`t have the pn). The problem with the SMR/Dark is that it fills far more than it removes so you risk the marring "reappearing" when you use the AIO on it.

While it depends on the paint, I wouldn`t hesitate to use either of the 3M RCs that I mentioned on the whole car if you need to, following up with the MG or the PI-3000 stuff. The RCs aren`t *nearly* as potent as they sound. Might be a lot of work by hand, but you should still be fine. I`ve used them on many different paints without any problems.

pennoyer
03-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info. Where can I find the products you mentioned. I looked here and at autogeek but can`t seem to find or not sure exactly which products you would use.

Thanks

Accumulator
03-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Here`s the LINK (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825) that I used the last time I bought the MG. Don`t know if they still have it or now have the PI-3000 stuff. Look around their site for the RC (the 3M part number is 05933).