PDA

View Full Version : UPP question

spotter
03-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I recently got a 3 oz sample of some UPP through the Autopia trade thread. I wanted to use it as a LSP this spring during the pollen season due to its reputation as one of the slickest products around.

I will be using it on my 2003 Accord Coupe which is graphite pearl (kind of a dark metallic gray). I was planning to use AIO as a base for the UPP but I was wondering if I could use UPP directly over Vanilla Moose? I noticed that PakShak sold this as a combo on his site and wondered if anyone had tried this combo?

Since I only have a small sample I figure I will be able to get 2 layers of UPP and I would like for it to last a couple of months since pollen is very heavy here for about 3 months.

I guess my real question is will there be a noticeable difference in durability and/or slickness using AIO/UPP or AIO/SG/UPP instead of VM/UPP? Also, will UPP make a difference in pollen accumulation on my car?

TW85 HHI
03-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I think durability will suffer if used over VM instead of AIO.

As far as the pollen, my experience with UPP (by far my favorite sealant) is that it attracts dust like nothing else I have used. I do not think it will reduce the pollen accumulation but rather I think it will increase it.

EBPcivicsi
03-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I definitely think that the UUPP`s durability will suffer if used over VM.

I have have found UPP to be pretty efficient at not attracting dust. This is compared to a carnauba, but I did a side by side with #26 and TS, the UPP won hands down. Not sure how it would compare to other sealants. I don`t think you will see a noticable difference with the pollen though, just too much of it.

Soarer V
03-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I guess my real question is will there be a noticeable difference in durability and/or slickness using AIO/UPP or AIO/SG/UPP instead of VM/UPP?

Good, Better, BEST.

VM/UPP

AIO/UPP

AIO/SG/UPP- BEST

It has been said VM/UPP has the edge in that "wet look", over AIO/UPP.

spotter
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Soarer V your good, better, best ratings are what I would expect for durability but would you rate those combinations in the same order for slickness? I am more concerned with trying to repel pollen accumulation than anything else.

TW85 HHI
03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Keep in mind that dust attraction will be the worst just after a fresh application of any product. The amount of static will decrease over time and after a wash or QD but I still stand by my statement of UPP being a dust magnet compared to other products I have used.

Soarer V
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I am more concerned with trying to repel pollen accumulation than anything else.

Yeah, once you apply UPP or most anything for that matter pollen will be a challenge. Kinda like being in the rain, if your out there long enough, your going to get wet.

Other than the color of ones car, I don`t know of any LSP that can lessen the appearance of pollen.:nixweiss

imported_The Uncle
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
My expereince with UPP has been that dust attraction is an issue until the first wash. After that, no problem. I`ve used SG an S100 as LSPs in the last year, and UPP does about as well as either.