PDA

View Full Version : dusters

holt
03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I`ve seen those car dusters advertised and stuff, how safe on paint are they, and do any of you use them?

Bill D
03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Do you mean the California Car Duster (CCD) you can get in a car parts store or Wal-Mart? I find them effective and safe provided you don`t use them like a mop and mash against the finish with them. The trick is to barely touch it sweeping in single direction strokes. I shake the duster after each stroke. I`ve been using them for over 10 years with good results.

The biggest issue I ever had was with initial streaking from the wax in them. I let a new sit on newspaper for several days, rotating it position, before using it. Also, don`t use it in the direct, hot sun, the heat will cause the waxes to streak. Other than that, good results.

seracis
03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I`ve used the Cali Duster and liked it until I bought the OXO Duster (per advise here) and I won`t use anything else. I use mine often and have not seen one scratch.

Accumulator
03-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I, on the other hand, seem unable to touch my cars with the dusters without marring the finish :(

If they work for you, great. Just be careful and pay attention in case they *don`t* work for you. Plenty of people are happy with them and if it does mar your finish there are still a lot of uses for one around the house/shop.

Soarer V
03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
I`ve seen those car dusters advertised and stuff, how safe on paint are they

In addition to what Bill said, use good judgment when evaluating its use due to the amount of dust, surface contamination, etc.

Some have reported slight marring on their vehicles when using dusters correctly. It has been said this may be due to the color and type of paint. Example- Black single stage paint.:nixweiss

Bill D
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes this is very true, I`ve seen the need to use the duster when 99.9% of the general population would think it is ludicrous to do so.

Speaking of other brands of dusters, I thought I saw some time last year that there was going to be a DF Towel duster :nixweiss. I`d be very interested in one of those.

cwcad
03-09-2005, 05:40 PM
i had both ccd and the oxo duster. gave the ccd away. the oxo works better. i prefer the head on an oxo. do not get wet and lightly brush the surface and you will have little problems with marring. i am glad that i am tall. owning a pickup someone as short as my wife would have problems using a duster if not careful .

holt
03-10-2005, 10:31 AM
alright, thanks for all the input. being a noobie kinda makes things hard, but i know i can trust the advice for all of you and thanks for being honest about it all.

I`m still debating about it or not, but if I do it will be the oxo

TortoiseAWD
03-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I`ll chime in with another "me, too" on the Oxo recommendation; I gave my CCD to a friend after I bought the Oxo. I don`t think you`d be disappointed with either, but given a choice, I know which I`d pick.

Tort

Bobby G
03-10-2005, 12:23 PM
The mop head on both the CCD and the OXO duster are pretty good. The handle and mop head shape on the OXO are what I really like.